Strange "friction" feeling @ 22-20MPH???

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
My 09 FZ6 is at 10,000 and miles was taken into the shop last week for new Michelin Pilot Power CTs front and rear. Upon leaving the shop there was a slight rubbing "vibration" that i could feel through the handle bars and pegs exactly from 22-20 mph while the bike was coasting in neutral. I will be taking the bike back in but am looking for any ideas before relying solely on the shop for an explanation. I know my bike and do frequent track days, and this was not ocurring before service. Any advice would be much appreciated, as the tech said it sounded like a clutch issue. If the clutch is disengaged while decellerating I don't see how this would be the case.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I had the same problem when the shop replaced my tires.
It was the chain that was over tightend. Look at your chain slack, and if it is too tight, loosen it up a bit :thumbup:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
It was the chain that was over tightend. Look at your chain slack, and if it is too tight, loosen it up a bit :thumbup:

That! had the same thing also, When they drop the wheel back on the chain is slightly over tightened, either drop it off yourself and get them to do it free.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

^^ +2 The shudder is probably due to the wear on your chain, which you can feel much more strongly with it too tight. Some of the links are getting longer between the pins, as the pins and holes in the plates are getting bigger.

This happens unevenly on the chain, which makes the felling sort of a pulsing deal.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thing when I had the shop put on PR2s.

I took it right back and they gave me the usual "you want it that tight because the chain will eventually stretch".

That saying just seems to be thrown out there after being handed down tech to tech. It's like a right of passage to say that to a customer or something.

Have em set it to spec and go for a quick spin.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same thing when I had the shop put on PR2s.

I took it right back and they gave me the usual "you want it that tight because the chain will eventually stretch".

That saying just seems to be thrown out there after being handed down tech to tech. It's like a right of passage to say that to a customer or something.

Have em set it to spec and go for a quick spin.

Scorp

That would have been the last time I ever took my bike to that specific shop.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That would have been the last time I ever took my bike to that specific shop.

Problem is I've gotten a variation on that same line from all 3 "trusted" shops in my area at different points.

In serious, it has to be in a "How to speak to your Yamaha Customers" manual somewhere. :)

OP, keep us posted!

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, appreciate the advice. Not real happy since it was the head tech which gave me the "Sounds like something's wrong with your clutch." line. After the free realignment it might be time to look elsewhere for service. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have taken my bike to the dealership 1 time, and that is the last time I do that. The forums are filled with much more knowledge than the "experienced techs" at the dealer.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides checking the alignment of the wheel (at least look at the marks on the swingarm) YOU can check the tightness of the chain.

Make sure its on the centerstand (if equipped) and rotate the rear wheel slowly until you find the tightest spot. Then take a tape measure and place it just at the end of the plastic bottom run of the chain guide.

Measure the TOTAL UP AND DOWN movement of the chain (I measure the center of a pin) with moderate pressure. It should be at least 1.75" (to I believe 2.25"). If its tighter than 1.75", you will feel it dragging. More so if its measured on the loose end of the chain (normal wear and tear) and getting much tighter than that..

At 1.75", the chain will feel somewhat loose on the centerstand (as the swingarm has a fair amount of droop to it) but does tighten up when under way and when the chain isn't lubed...

If you have the YAMAHA tool kit with your bike, you can do it yourself but the axle should be tightened to spec's.

Too tight a chain is really hard on the chain, sprockets and drivetrain...