strange engine noise

badweatherbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I know trying to figure out noises in an engine is difficult enought but I have a tin-like vibration at 3000, 6000, and 9000 rpm that is annoying the crap outta me and since I usually ride Vtwins I am not really sure if it is normal or its about to blow up.
Sounds like keys rattling with the vibrations but I put tape around them and thats not it.
also sounds like there is a screw tinging around inside the headers or something, I dunno thats the best I can come up with.
The 9000 rpm sounds like the bike is coming apart or something.
Any suggestions?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
1. A throttlebody sync will fix most noise and vibration.
2. The ticking/tinging near the engine is most likely valvetrain noise. Cam chain tensioners failing seem to be a huge problem with these engines as they get miles and use. You're essentially hearing the cam chain rattling a little bit.

I replaced my tensioner with a manual one and it cleared up all the noise and vibration, but I plan on buying a factory automatic one when I replace my cam chain and guides.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might just look at your headers near the collectors as they can collect rocks and debris. The tar soaked rocks stick when cold and rattle when hot until all the tar burns off. Its worth a look based upon what you described.

Get a light and your tools and just start giving everything a once over. You never know what you might mind. . .

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
2. The ticking/tinging near the engine is most likely valvetrain noise. Cam chain tensioners failing seem to be a huge problem with these engines as they get miles and use. You're essentially hearing the cam chain rattling a little bit.

I replaced my tensioner with a manual one and it cleared up all the noise and vibration, but I plan on buying a factory automatic one when I replace my cam chain and guides.

OP, as stated in your other post i agree with SovietRobo ^^ i had same problem with cam chain tentioner on my old FZ6. Deffo worth getting it checked out :thumbup: