Storing Bike outside?

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i have been forced to store my bike outside for a short while (couple days?..... maybe a few weeks?.....) Last night was the first night i left my beloved FZ6 alone in the dark :D. I had the bike covered up and on the center stand. Is there anything i should be doing to the bike to prevent any issues down the road or the next morning? I do ride this bike everyday about 60 to 70 miles and will continue to do so until i get a car.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah! I had to do the same until I said screw it and parked it underneath my apartment's stairs (what are they gonna do? Fire me?). Make sure you keep the bottom of the cover bungeed or tied. Heavy wind will blow it up and possibly blow dirt and debris into the cover and possibly put some light scratches on your paint or blow it off completely.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Mines outside everyday i don't know why people worry so much when they don't worry about their cars

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in FL the sun beats the living hell out of plastics and really takes the color out of it. Not only that, the corrosion is unbelievable since I live beach side

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the replies. This is the first time i owned a bike during winter so i just wanted to see what others are doing. :thumbup:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
get a good cover and call it done. i park it in 1st, put the side stand down and put a cover on it. the only reason for the cover is for sun damage. i'm not worried about the bike getting wet.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My moto has never seen a garage. Get yourself a really good cover, and even rain won't touch your moto! Well, you'll still get the exposed parts of the wheels wet, but that doesn't matter. lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Other reasons for covering your bike are it is recommended by insurance companies. It seems that bikes that are covered seem less enticing and accessible. Lock it down. Get a disc lock and if there is a way chain or cable lock it to a post. Of course an alarm with a starting deterrent doesn't hurt.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with most of these guys, been keeping it outside for years. When I lived in Richmond, VA I had disc locks, rough area. In Harrisonburg I park it in gear so the wind can't blow it off my stand, and luckily the guy I bought it from had the legit Yamaha FZ6 formed cover. Works for me, stays dry.

Now when I actualy put it up (mid-late December to late February), I bring it in the basement with a battery on the tender and Stabil in a full tank of gas. It just breaks my heart to see it sitting out there with snow on top of the cover.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with most of these guys, been keeping it outside for years. When I lived in Richmond, VA I had disc locks, rough area. In Harrisonburg I park it in gear so the wind can't blow it off my stand, and luckily the guy I bought it from had the legit Yamaha FZ6 formed cover. Works for me, stays dry.

Now when I actualy put it up (mid-late December to late February), I bring it in the basement with a battery on the tender and Stabil in a full tank of gas. It just breaks my heart to see it sitting out there with snow on top of the cover.

Me too! when i bought my bike, the previous owner included the "FZ6" cover as well. First night i parked my bike in the back yard on the patio.... The wet grass made the tires frost up by the next morning which worried me a little bit so i've been parking my bike in the driveway (1st gear, sidestand, forks locks, and covered)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd park it on the side stand outside. It's more stable there. You never know what kind of wind mother nature might throw at it, and if it's on the center stand, runs a higher risk of getting blown over.

alanyluan

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a question, I am about to start storing mine outside and plan on getting a battery tender but...hooking it up outside... that sounds questionable. Anyone have any suggestions?

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: