Stock seat. Does it hurt you too?

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a firm believer in the Airhawk-R. Best comfort seating system out there. Corbin and all others are way too expensive.

The NEW AIRHAWK R Motorcycle Seat Cushion

Try it, and you'll never ride on anything else.

Problem is i dont want something that just sits on top of the seat.

Terrible saddle. I bought a Corbin. Just don't get the "carbon fiber" cover, slides too much.

Jamie - I NEVER got the money for the saddle....

A friend of mine got a Corbin for his bandit. He says hes having trouble liking it. How do you like yours?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
My stock seat used to be uncomfortable, but it's gotten much better. Maybe I got used to it or something.

Or maybe it's that it sits on a shelf at work while the Corbin sits on the bike. How that rock hard Corbin is comfortable I'm not really sure, but it is.

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
my stock totally sucks!...
I keep saying "Maybe I got used to it" but NOPE, it's not happen.. :(

I have an old school 1984 Yamaha RZ350 that I can ride for 3-4 hours with almost zero issues. I'm also a cyclist and I typically log over 120'ish miles a week. so, I would think my butt should be condition for any rides..
but HEL@ NO...

here's to my stock FZ6 seat :Flip: I HATE YOU..

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
seems the stock seat gets a good amount of grief from riders but i find it very comfortable. not much padding but that seems neither here nor there for me but a bit of extra cushion

the seat itself i find very accommodating, wide enough, long enough, and i can move around nicely on it. fore, aft, does not seem to matter as i can find a comfortable position very easily when ready to shift my weight, etc

although a tall rider and weighing in at a good 220lbs i must admit to having a somewhat flat, narrow ass, however. that may help things in my case, YMMV

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if its just cause im ive only been riding for two weeks, or if the seat is just uncomfortable. But after like an hour, my butt starts to hurt and im constantly adjusting myself to try to get comfortable.

Im just wondering if the stock seat is just that bad, or if its just me, or if i need to give it more time.

Thanks

What is misleading is WHY ONES @SS hurts..... Please take note as why you butt hurts. The 08 seat is just too soft, now add a bunch of vibrations to it and it can literally make your @ss numb! But there is a fix! Its simple and doesn't cost anything and 2/3rds of the vibrations will go away! That is a WIN!

See Thread: Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!! http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html Roughly speaking 20+ people have followed the instructions here and have been rewarded with REDUCED VIBRATIONS which your butt will notice!

One of the more recent posts depicts a year long battle of vibrations solved by following those instructions.
I myself could hardly stand to go on a long ride because the vibes in the seat caused pain. This Fixed it! If your reading this thread, I encourage you to take a look!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
my stock totally sucks!...
I keep saying "Maybe I got used to it" but NOPE, it's not happen.. :(

I have an old school 1984 Yamaha RZ350 that I can ride for 3-4 hours with almost zero issues. I'm also a cyclist and I typically log over 120'ish miles a week. so, I would think my butt should be condition for any rides..
but HEL@ NO...

here's to my stock FZ6 seat :Flip: I HATE YOU..

^^ lol Nice touch!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same situation, I hated the stock seat. The Yamaha comfort seat looked like a great way to go so I bought one, after a year it was much worse. I sold it and put the stock seat back on, now I can ride all day with minimum issue. I think it comes down to ergonomics.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same situation, I hated the stock seat. The Yamaha comfort seat looked like a great way to go so I bought one, after a year it was much worse. I sold it and put the stock seat back on, now I can ride all day with minimum issue. I think it comes down to ergonomics.

BUTT you ALSO fixed a vibration issue!!! Yes?!?!?!?! Loose Spark plug cap wires caused some of that!
picture.php
-->>http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

gerardfry

Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently purchased an '05 FZ6 and have put about 2000 miles on it. I'd say the stock seat is fair at best. After about an hour my butt is ready for me to stop and take a rest. My longest trip was about 150 miles to visit my Dad. I rode non stop for about two hours. About 80% of the ride was freeway miles. I think this bike is awesome and plan to either replace the seat or send the stock seat out for sport touring treatment. I've read some where on this site about this modification and will research it more this fall. Probably send off this winter as I'm tearing bike down for re-paint.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently purchased an '05 FZ6 and have put about 2000 miles on it. I'd say the stock seat is fair at best. After about an hour my butt is ready for me to stop and take a rest. My longest trip was about 150 miles to visit my Dad. I rode non stop for about two hours. About 80% of the ride was freeway miles. I think this bike is awesome and plan to either replace the seat or send the stock seat out for sport touring treatment. I've read some where on this site about this modification and will research it more this fall. Probably send off this winter as I'm tearing bike down for re-paint.

Spencer's in Florida!

Do check the spark plug caps if there is any hint of vibration related issues....

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! It was horrible for me. Tried a Top Saddlery seat and it was a huge improvement, but not perfect. I got a Russell day long seat and LOVE it!

8adumazy.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bluremi

Reaction score
Visit site
I regularly go on 2-3hr rides, once a month I'll do a 6-8hr trip. One of the first things I did was get a TS seat.

Replacing the saddle is a must if you ever plan on riding for more than an hour, especially in the summer months. Unless you're buying a Goldwing or K1600GT, the stock seat on most bikes will seriously hurt after a while.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a 3500 mile trip in about 7 1/2 days of riding. I also did a similar trip last year, with a total of 13,000 miles logged last summer, and about 5,000mi logged this summer. All on a stock seat. I dont think its too bad at all!

Have you ever ridden a Ducati monster? or worse yet, panigale? Those seats are like bricks, lol!

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably depends on your type of buns, but for most, the stock seat not made for long rides. It can be more comfortable than on some other bikes, but still far from perfect.
When I bought my bike the it came with Corbin and the owner gave me stock too. Well the Corbin was brick hard and slippery. Much heavier too. I don't know how would it feel on a long rides, cas my passenger was sliding forward as like on ice so I sold Corbin and bought Yamaha Comfort seat. It is better then stock, but just by a small margin. Little easier to move around though.
After a couple of hours you starting to feel the pressure on the "cheek bones". It comes and goes and feels harder the more you ride. On country roads with stops you can ride entire day. On highways it's tougher but for long highway rides I still take the Airhawk to put over it after a while.

Themadclowns

Reaction score
Visit site
:bow: to those of you out there that can handle the stock seat for more than 45 min... Because :spank: is what it feels like for the rest of us. lol

When I started commuting on my bike (1.25 - 2 hours) I decided it was time to get a good seat. Lucky for me (and any of the greater northwest riders out there) we have a Rich's custom seats located just north of Seattle Washington
who does a fantastic job making a custom seat (with a gel insert) fit to you! They are a bit on the pricey side at between 425 - $$$$ depending on materials used and if he is fitting front and back seat (for your passenger). Mine cost around 600 because i upgraded to leather. By far the best money i have spent on my bike.

Xanxus

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat is fine for me and I am 6' and 300lbs. Though most of my trips are under half an hour. The only other experience I have had on a bike was a dual sport thing and that hurt me after 10 minuets. :(

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a minority here but the stock seat has been fine for me. Even if I spend 4-6 hours on it in a day. However I usually stop after 2 hours of riding non stop due to other pain... wrist most of the time, sometimes helmet. I'm around 155lbs. I'm also fine on a Duc Monster. Guess I have an ass of steel Blah

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Might be a minority here but the stock seat has been fine for me. Even if I spend 4-6 hours on it in a day. However I usually stop after 2 hours of riding non stop due to other pain... wrist most of the time, sometimes helmet. I'm around 155lbs. I'm also fine on a Duc Monster. Guess I have an ass of steel Blah

Ditto, except I tend to stop after an hour of twisties just to give my head a chance to catch up. Discomfort on long motorway journeys I blame on my scrawny backside, not the saddle. The right undercrackers helps, rowing shorts being my favourite.
The wrist problem I solved by taking a scaffold tube to the handlebars and reducing the ridiculous rake (tried FZ1 bars but they caught my hands on full lock). A bit ghetto, but what a difference!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess I have an ass of steel Blah

I KNOW I have an ass of steel. My wife tells me so. :rolleyes:

But honestly, I have not had a problem with the stock seat. I've been out for 2 1/2 hours or so mostly highway, with no problems.

I suspect I'll be getting a different seat though since my wife has decided she'll ride with me, but would prefer to have a backrest. I'm thinking Corbin.