stock air filter, simple questions

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i had the tank up for the first time the other day, and took a look at the air filter while i was ther, though it looked decent yet , just wondering what color the stocker is? not sure if the on in there is stock or not. and where is a cheap place to get a replacement. i have a local dealer, and ebay and such. just wondering if there is another good cheap source for them

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
OEM filter is about the cheapest out there.... all of the aftermarket ones seem to be more expensive, and claim higher air flow. When you look at the lifetime costs involved, the OEM is no more expensive, and less likely to be mesed up by the installer.

The oiled cotton type filters..... if you put too much oil on them, they are more restrictive than the OEM. If you get it 'just right'..... the only way to allow more air flow is to put less media in the way of the air, right? That has to mean you are allowing bigger particles of stuff into the cylinders, doesn't it?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
i had the tank up for the first time the other day, and took a look at the air filter while i was ther, though it looked decent yet , just wondering what color the stocker is?

H418811.jpg

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've soaked mine with regular hot water and dishsoap before and back flushed it and then air dried it after lightly blowing it out with compressed air. Cleans it pretty good and I inspected it and there was no evidence of any damage or seperation of the material. Beats buying a new one all the time. I'm a cheap bastard. Just some info for those interested.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've soaked mine with regular hot water and dishsoap before and back flushed it and then air dried it after lightly blowing it out with compressed air. Cleans it pretty good and I inspected it and there was no evidence of any damage or seperation of the material. Beats buying a new one all the time. I'm a cheap bastard. Just some info for those interested.

I do the same thing! First I knock it on the drive, then I use air to blow it out.

The last time I looked at my filter it and the air box were full of butterflies wings. I just cleaned it out and put it back in. At least they weren't buffalo wings! :rof:

Sorry.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

The soft bristle upholstery brush for the vacuum cleaner does a good job of sucking all the debris off the face of the filter, too.

Now that I have my compressor up and running, blowing stuff out of filters is an option again. Not too sure I'd want to routinely soak a filter in water.... hard to say if the fibers would swell and restrict flow.

Sucking all the stuff off the surface, and blowing out what is trapped in the media should extend the life significantly.