Sticky Brake

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
When putting on a new wheel, I noticed that the front left (when sitting on the bike) is stuck partly closed. It's causing the wheel to not be able to spin freely (but not interfering with riding) and when I take it off the rotor, it is very hard to slide it back on, there's almost no tolerance at all.

I am going to bleed the lines to see if this fixes it. Is there anything else I should do? Maybe take the pads off and see if the caliper needs cleaning? Just wanted to get a consensus before I start.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I double checked the wheel, and it's on the right way, which is lucky because I've taken it on and off about 3 times without checking the direction.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I double checked the wheel, and it's on the right way, which is lucky because I've taken it on and off about 3 times without checking the direction.

lol. actually my advice had nothing to do with your problem!
i was just a little too eager to help....

have you tried pushing the piston back in, putting the caliper and wheel back on, then priming the brakes?

since you're on a kinda new bike (2008), i doubt you have bad seals that are causing your pistons to get stuck

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even thou its fairly new, (don't know the mileage/riding conditions) you could have some grime hanging up the caliber pistons from retracting fully. The tolerances are pretty tight, it doesn't take much to hang it up..

I'd remove the caliber from the fork (not the line) and clean with a tooth brush each piston as its extended from the caliber. There are 4 pistons, so as you finish cleaning one, compress it back in (with a c clamp or c vise grip) and another piston(s) will come out. Clean all pistons.

If that doesn't help, its time to pull the calibers/pistons/seals and do a good cleaning. You may want to replace all the seals as your there anyway... When re-assembling I'd strongly suggest using brake caliber grease (made specifically for sliding pins, seals, pistons, etc). It'll go back together much easier. New fluid and a good brake bleed...

BTW, Yamaha specifies brake lines and caliber seals be replaced every 2 years. I serviced my ft brake calibers on my 07 as they were starting to drag with 5k miles on the clock....

Good luck.