steering issue

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a low speed parking lot crash a while back,so i decided to go naked the conversion is almost complete replaced all damaged parts just waiting for my headlight in the mail. anyway I took the bike out on a test ride the other day just to make sure the new radiator was working. I noticed when cornering when it got to a certain point the bike would tend to pull in faster than it should. Nothing to alarming but just enough to let me know something was off.

Any ideas what it could be? I was thinking maybe it was a wheel balance issue maybe?

Make sure your front forks are straight, as well as your handlebar didn't move... Lot's of times if your forks aren't straight they will have weird effects on handling... happens alot in MX.

Put it up on the centerstand loosen all the fork clamp bolts and kinda wiggle stuff around a bit and make sure everything is straight. Some times during low speed or no speed drops you can twist something ever so slightly and loosening up the fork clamp bolts can make everything pop back into place. Same thing for the handlebar clamps.

Another option is it may just all be in your head ;)

Last edited:
I will try loosening everything tomorrow and see if that works. I dont think its in my head because I let my brother in law take it for a ride and he noticed it right away without me saying anything about it. His guess was that the wheel was off balance, could this be it. I couldn't find any balance weights on the front wheel the real wheel has them but not the front.

I will try loosening everything tomorrow and see if that works. I dont think its in my head because I let my brother in law take it for a ride and he noticed it right away without me saying anything about it. His guess was that the wheel was off balance, could this be it. I couldn't find any balance weights on the front wheel the real wheel has them but not the front.

Highly unlikely. If the wheel if out of balance it'll cause vibration, but it should not affect turn-in.
Do the fork legs stick out equally on both sides over top clamp? Do they stick out more than they used to? (that would cause quicker turn-in)

suspend the entire bike from the handlebars and sub-frame....

then loose the triples so the fork tubes can slide up/down easily.

spin each tube by hand, and watch where the fork seals are, there should be no 'wobble' percieved, or you have a bent tube= do not ride

slowly lower the bike onto the fork tubes, lightly tighten the triple's bolts, then lower the bike completely. after it's on the floor, bounce on the front end while holding the front brake, then without. next torque the triples to spec. it's not very much.

i wouldn't dare ride a bike with bent tubes. yours likely just slipped in the triples.

rock on :)

If you want to rule out the front tire balance, pull the front wheel off, and check/do a STATIC balance.

You need to be able to hang the wheel on a large bar suspended off the ground. If its out of balance, the wheel will rotate "on its own" with the heavy spot being on the bottom. It will be quite obvious...

You can also do the same (front end raised) with loosening the axle and pulling both calibers (get rid of any drag). Again, watch for any heavy spots rotating to the ground...

Good luck..

Back