Steering Head Bearings (FZ6N = FZ6S?)

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

Well the time has come to replace my steering head bearings. The knocking under brakes and also >140kmh is now getting very concerning.
I have just clocked up 56000kms and the bike has spent a lot of time in the rain so its no surprise they are stuffed.

So i have a 2008 FZ6N and what i need to know is this -

Is the steering head bearing/s the same on the N as they are on the S model?
I have found some all-balls kits online and can get a FZ6S kit significantly cheaper than another one (from another continent) for the FZ6N

They look the same but before committing i figured i would ask my comrades here

Cheers

Heath (about to finally upload some pics of my mods too)

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

Well the time has come to replace my steering head bearings. The knocking under brakes and also >140kmh is now getting very concerning.
I have just clocked up 56000kms and the bike has spent a lot of time in the rain so its no surprise they are stuffed.

So i have a 2008 FZ6N and what i need to know is this -

Is the steering head bearing/s the same on the N as they are on the S model?
I have found some all-balls kits online and can get a FZ6S kit significantly cheaper than another one (from another continent) for the FZ6N

They look the same but before committing i figured i would ask my comrades here

Cheers

Heath (about to finally upload some pics of my mods too)

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 04-05 Tapered Headrace Bearing Set (By All Balls USA) Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

Those are the ones I used and have been mint in my 2005 FZ6 S.

I would expect them to be exactly the same.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I also can't give a definitive answer. However, I can say that it would be very very unlikely for the head bearings of the S and N models to be different, as I can't see any reasons for Yamaha to change the componentry in this area between models.

I'd just order the bearings from a place that accepts returns. To be honest, you won't be sending them back as there's almost no chance of the bearings being different... still have to allow for the odd one the manufacturers throw in there once in a while though! :thumbup:

Just an FYI, the reason that no one has given a definitive answer is that a large proportion of the members on here are from the US, where they only market the S model. :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add another nod for them being the same. Again not 100% sure but I see no reason why they would be any different. Same forks, wheels, frame, brakes, etc. And I made the swap about a month ago from the stock ball bearings to these at 24K miles. Stock bearings were still in good shape but the bike seems to handle ever so slightly better with the new bearings. Peace of mind is up as well :)