Stebel TM80/2 Magnum installed

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Honk Honk!

I had the Stebel Truck Horn but it kind of worked every 2nd day or so... I just couldn't go back to stock horn :D

Took a while to figure out how to do this trick, because I was told to install the horns with the original mountings (2x steel plates) - otherwise it could make them sound odd. Have had this setup for the last 2 months (and about 2.000km). Works great and has not come loose. Sorry for the dark/poor pictures. They were taken right before I pushed the bike into my parents garage - sleeping for the Winther besides my bigbrothers Opel Speedster Turbo...

Horns have been installed with at least 5 degree angle downwards (according to instructions).
I have a thin stainless steel plate between headlight unit and lower part of fairing - so I do have more than that flimsy plastic to bolt onto.
Yep I know I should insulate the wires properly - will do after winther :)

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, take a look at that travel. It looks pretty short. You don't want your horns bottoming out against your fender. Could be very dangerous. Of course if you've already checked and it's fine, disregard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300 + mikw73 >>>

Front wheel travel is close but not a problem. I had the Truck Horn mounted and it is slightly bigger than this setup. Before I installed the Truck Horn (last year) I did a full brake test and measured the front suspension "marks" => the marks left by the rubbercover - does it make sense?

I guess the Nautilus is a slight bit louder, and the salesman told me that if I did alot of city riding then the higher pitched Nautilus was better. He had been told by an ambulance driver that they mostly used higher pitch tones in the middle of cities. But almost all my km is country riding and highways and I like the car-horn-like sound of the magnums better.

A few weeks ago I drove past a friend of mine on the highway and pushed the horn button. I couldn't hear anything else than wind noise but he sure heard it :)
During the same situation I was speaking with my girlfriend via my Interphone bluetooth and she got very silent. She thought I was in the middle of a major crash because the magnum horns nearly wrecked the speaker in the HTC... The Interphone eliminates windnoise for the listener and apparently enhances everything else :)

2006_FZ& >>>

Your right... Sometime soon I will roll it out of the garage and try to make a audio/video clip to compare original and magnum horns.

During stand still at traffic lights most guys tend to stare at the horns... I belive they think they are turbo's... haha!

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do the Europeans get all the cool cars & all we get is the crap left over? :confused:

It is based on a Lotus Elise... I think you have that one in US?

2,0 Turbo with 200hp and light as a feather :) => 4,9 seconds from 0-100 and cornering like mad... They use exactly the same engine is other Opels too but of course they are all much heavier.

I can slowly pull away from it on a straight but in all other situations I'm dead :D

The Opel Speedster was made from 2000-2004 I believe?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do the Europeans get all the cool cars & all we get is the crap left over? :confused:

We get the Lotus Exige!

:rockon:

lotus-exige%20(4).jpg

Too bad most of us can't afford such expensive toys.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
We get the Lotus Exige!

:rockon:

lotus-exige%20(4).jpg

Too bad most of us can't afford such expensive toys.

Take a look at this;

Donkervoort D8 GT

270 bhp
650 kg

My dad got a telephone from them, stating they will begin the build of his car :rockon:
Spring will be very fun this year :steve:

Grtz,

Degake

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TownsendsFJR1300 + mikw73 >>>

Front wheel travel is close but not a problem. I had the Truck Horn mounted and it is slightly bigger than this setup. Before I installed the Truck Horn (last year) I did a full brake test and measured the front suspension "marks" => the marks left by the rubbercover - does it make sense?

Yep, that makes sense. I'm not sure if there is a OEM specification for the needed travel though. In any reasonably controlled test where you're not planning on testing your safety gear I'm not sure you'll get full travel. I would not want to encourage you to do so with the horns in place, but have you done a stoppie, or do you know anyone who has and measured the marks? It seems like there ought to be something in the service manual, though.

All of this also depends a lot on front suspension mods, too. Spring stiffness could change the travel limit, I think. I'll look and see if I can find a book answer. I like your test, though.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll look and see if I can find a book answer.

Per the service manual, the front fork travel is 130mm. So the distance from the lower-most part of the horn to the part of the fender it would hit if it did would have to be at least 130mm to prevent the horns pressing the fender into the tire, resulting in sudden uncontrollable braking.

Adding stiffer springs might change (reduce) that, but being heavy enough to need them might negate that again. The Yamaha specification is likely a safe number, but I wouldn't push my luck.

I would think that the only way to REALLY know for sure would be to spray the stanchions with oil, dust with some sort of harmless powder, remove the horns, do a hard stoppie and measure the travel from the stoppie. But if you've got the 130mm I wouldn't bother, unless you've put on softer than stock springs. There may be a better way though. I'm no bike mechanic.

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Stebel Nautilus and Fiamm freeway blaster. I have the single Fiamm horn mounted in the stock location. Due to the larger bell, it sticks down lower then the stock horn, but still no where near as close to how your duel set up looks. I ended up with a cracked bell, and a missing piece of plastic from bottoming out the suspension. Luckily for me, no damage to the fender, and the horn actually still works fine. I have since readjusted mine higher.

I would be careful with your setup and consider making a different bracket to raise them higher. I cant see it being able to clear the fender when the suspension is fully compressed.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did several full brake tests with the Truck Horn which was slighty lower than this setup. I could measure it this weekend (but I am pretty sure I have more than 130mm from fender to horns).

I do have Öhlins springs in the front fork and they are deffinantly NOT softer than originals :)

No need to add grease on the stanchions - just wipe them a bit clean and do some hard stops. The rubberseals will leave thin visible marks :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at this;

Donkervoort D8 GT

270 bhp
650 kg

My dad got a telephone from them, stating they will begin the build of his car :rockon:
Spring will be very fun this year :steve:

Grtz,

Degake

Very interesting car. :thumbup: