Stebel Nautilus horn - recommended fuse rating?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all -
When I originally wired my aftermarket horn it was dual horns simliar to fiamm highway blaster.

I went with a 15a fuse to relay to horn.

when I upgraded to Stebel Nautilus I didn't think to up the fuse rating.

Normal use is a polite 1/4 second blast or 2 or even 3 short blasts at that interval. Rarely would I even blast the Stebel for 1 full second...
until.. today!! :Flip: to the Lady in the Benz SUV damn near rammed right into me when coming out from a side street. :(..

I felt obligated to run the horn until it stopped working (about 5 seconds).

I got home and tore the system apart expecting a blown relay or the horn having gone bad. in the end just a burnt fuse :rockon:

-> so please tell me.. for those running the Stebel Nautilus what amperage fuse are you using?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A good place to start would be the current/wattage rating of the horn. Off the top of my head,iIf the horn didn't malfunction and if you don't know the power rating, bump it to a 20 amp. I would not go higher. The main fuse is a 30 amp.:)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all -
When I originally wired my aftermarket horn it was dual horns simliar to fiamm highway blaster.

I went with a 15a fuse to relay to horn.

when I upgraded to Stebel Nautilus I didn't think to up the fuse rating.

Normal use is a polite 1/4 second blast or 2 or even 3 short blasts at that interval. Rarely would I even blast the Stebel for 1 full second...
until.. today!! :Flip: to the Lady in the Benz SUV damn near rammed right into me when coming out from a side street. :(..

I felt obligated to run the horn until it stopped working (about 5 seconds).

I got home and tore the system apart expecting a blown relay or the horn having gone bad. in the end just a burnt fuse :rockon:

-> so please tell me.. for those running the Stebel Nautilus what amperage fuse are you using?

According to Stiebel's docs the horn draws up to 18A @12v

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, @trepetti, Scott -

I went with a 20a simply because I had a few in my stock of electrical supplies. (hadn't read this thread yet)

I rode today and had cause for a 1 second blast and all is good, so far.

But to stress test the horn and circuit, I just don't have it in me to run this thing for 5+ seconds in my garage, near my house.. or honestly around any people. nothing screams I am a jerk like a 15 second long blast of a stebel. ( I like my neighbors and am feeling really pretty grown up right about now. :eek:)

I ordered 25amp fuses off of ebay just in case of an emergency but will stick with the 20amp fuse for now.

Thanks to you guys who responded w advice. Trepetti glad you attached that photo of stebel horn doc - very useful

FB

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
After a close call yesterday morning on the way to work, I immediately logged-in and went straight to the Stebel website to order a Nautilus.

Woman in a Hyundai, on her cell proceeds to attempt to occupy my lane :eek: while I am to her right at her windshield! (Basic physics: two solid objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time) :spank: If I had been farther rearward, I probably would have been forced into the curb. Luckily I was in the left third of the lane and had enough room to move right and gas it, as she had crossed the lane line and was coming further when my weak oem horn finally got her attention. As we approached the traffic light, of course I showed her :Flip: She immediately moved to the left turn lane almost being hit by an oncoming car from the rear.

I am impatiently waiting for the mailman.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Stebel, was / is well worth the $ for those rare occassions..

Not to change the subject but definitly related.

What I've found to really help, are the open Scorps.. I really find them soothing (I do have a stereo attached to my helmet) but rarly listen to it as I LOVE the sound of the bike.

Approx 90% of the time, cages hear me, BEFORE THEY SEE ME (you can tell as they look over, or look in the mirror as I approach).

As a side note, right after I put a new PR III rear tire (after my key incident into the old PRII tire), I was on some back roads scruffing in the tire. Some young man, obviously his mind elsewhere, turned left in front of me as I was doing about 35MPH! Climbed on both brakes, (the back tire just barly locked up, front just shy of locking) as I'm thinking about my $200 tire with a brand new FLAT SPOT, but also MANAGED TO LAY ON THE STEBEL for a good 5 seconds. NO issues with the 20 amp fuse/relay etc. Woke my cager up and the rear tire didn't flat spot. Literally missed him by 6-8", by far, the closest call without having a wreck..

Its rare I have to use the horn as I try to stay out of blind spots and leave some distance around me. But it takes just one driver to screw up your day...

Some pic's of my Stebel install under the left inner fairing but you'll need at least an hour, some metal fab skills and some 1/8 aluminum. Tucks in nice, but is still loud as heck!!

Last edited: