STEAM Engine

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Went out today to find this locomotive, a Big Boy 4-8-8-4 articulated, one of if not the largest steam locomotive built. This one was made in Sept. 1941 and must have served during WWII hauling supplies and troops for the war effort.
Union Pacific is moving her to Cheyenne Wyoming to put her back into operating condition for railfan tours. Will be a site to see under steam power. The B&W photo was taken by yours truly in 1962 while on a road trip with my mom and dad when we went through Cheyenne and I think it is the same loco, cool huh:thumbup:

Jerry

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool!!! Esp the old pic! :thumbup::thumbup:

So what has it been retrofitted too? Not coal and not wood! Propane??

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm should be coal. 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" Locomotives What makes you think it's not?

Its still a steam loco, but something about the container on the back doesn't look right. There are a couple compressed gas cylinders on on it, but it doesn't look proper for filling with coal.

You making me look twice - notice the container says 24,000 gallons on the back? Although by the 60's maybe that ran kerosene??? IDK Before my time. Just the era made me think coal.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
It is and probably will be coal or they might convert to oil. The cylinders on the tender are most likely air tanks for the brake system as the air cylinders on the loco need to be re-certified to hold pressure. Notice the red air lines from front to back, these are for the air brakes when they move the loco. Link to the official site and yes they do plan on using oil.

UP: Big Boy No. 4014

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Its still a steam loco, but something about the container on the back doesn't look right. There are a couple compressed gas cylinders on on it, but it doesn't look proper for filling with coal.

You making me look twice - notice the container says 24,000 gallons on the back? Although by the 60's maybe that ran kerosene??? IDK Before my time. Just the era made me think coal.

24,000 indicates the amount of water the tender holds.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FI - Ohhhhhhh, THAT STEAM, you mean it **doesn't** come from AIR!!! Derp! Forgot about how much water it needed! :p:p

Any more to tell about the old BnW photo? :america:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
FI - Ohhhhhhh, THAT STEAM, you mean it **doesn't** come from AIR!!! Derp! Forgot about how much water it needed! :p:p

Any more to tell about the old BnW photo? :america:

There were quite a few of the 4000 series that day and most of them went under the cutting torch in the not to distant future:( Not sure how many other than the 4014 were preserved. Here are a few more pictures from that day.

Jerry

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There were quite a few of the 4000 series that day and most of them went under the cutting torch in the not to distant future:( Not sure how many other than the 4014 were preserved. Here are a few more pictures from that day.

Jerry

Jerry those are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
Its pretty cool you kept these pictures all this time! If you don't mind, how is it you were able to get atop those beasts and when was this? What year?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Jerry those are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!
Its pretty cool you kept these pictures all this time! If you don't mind, how is it you were able to get atop those beasts and when was this? What year?

Well, I was 16 or 17 and in those days no one was to worried about liability and my dad and I were free to roam around the yards and the only one really worried about me climbing on top of the locos was my mom:D
The year was 1961 or 62 and we also went to Durango to see the narrow gauge loco's and we went to a number of other railroad sites, was a very memorable trip and I'm thankful for the super parents I had:thumbup:

Jerry