Stealth Mode

lmarti001

AirBorne!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Black 08 FZ6.

I want to paint as many pieces on the bike black as I can to give it a stealthy look. Question is do I have to powder coat the pieces, ie the radiator covers?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
No, just get flat primer. That's what I did. No need to paint it with black primer.

Do NOT cover the whole thing at once...spray a little, let it dry, and do again. You should not cover the whole thing, make it all black, with one drying.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I`d recommend powder coating the rearsets, since paint will most likely get beaten up down there... I painted everything else black (used primer for the front forks only, for added protection, but you have an '08, so it`s not an issue).

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Krylon rustoleum rust tough semi gloss black for mine. I have used many different paints and this one holds up to heat and rock chips better than any of the other ones. I painted the majority of the muffler on my car with this paint and it hasn't peeled off or chipped from heat or rocks(keep in mind my muffler is about 2-2.5inches from the ground). I have it on my sway bars and an under chassis brace on my car and they twist and get beat on by rocks... no chipping.

like wavex said for certain things (rearsets, clutch/brake levers, handle bars) I would powder coat for the durability. good luck... and post pics

quick fz

Throttle Jockey!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I anodized the foot pegs and painted the radiator pieces with a couple coats of primer and some satin black after scuffing the snot out of it.

the frame guards have a small insert in them which i tried to paint... but, the boot scuffs them all to s***. they are aluminum so I'm going to sandblast and anodize those too.

diamond coat anodize is where its at, it won't scratch no matter how hard i try.