Stalling issue-new rider

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm new to the boards and this is my first post. I recently bougth a used 2008 FZ6 with about 15,000 miles on it as my first bike. I've been experiencing some issues that make it very hard to ride. The main issue is that it stalls very easy when starting off from a stop. Makes it near impossible to drive around in traffic because there's no telling when it will actually go into first or just stall. It also stalls on occasion when down shifting from 3rd to 1st and I have to start it while it's coasting with the engine off. The bike also seems to be using an excessive amount of gas. I've read some other posts about these same issues being with the Throttle position sensor but I tested it and it is within spec. Another possible fault I've heard is it may be the Dyno Jet computer being mapped incorrectly, could this possibly be an issue? I've ordered a new TPS just to try anyways and made an appointment to have it dynotested this Monday but I don't want to just keep pouring money into it blindly. Any help is very much appreciated! For now I'm only going on late nite rides where I know theres no traffic so I don't embarass myself stalling at a light lol

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran into the same issue with the FZ6's clutch.
I did the following to placate it

Bike Set up
1)Once the engine is warmed up set the idle to 1350 rpms

Shifting to 1st
2)Pull in the clutch, but only use the two fingers and use your ring finger as a clutch lever limiter because the friction zone is narrow and so the clutch really doesn't need to be pulled in all the way for a shift. I pretty much do this for all my shifts

That is just the technique part, in the beginning the nerves may try to get the better of you, stay calm, feel the bike pull as you ease out the clutch and roll on the throttle. There is no rush, go slow and have faith that your bike will get you through. As you ride more on the street and take your time easing out the clutch you will get confident and stalling would be far away memory.

Take a look at this thread as well
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/45039-clutch-release-stalling.html

Good luck

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so you know, you are not alone. The stock bike has an on/off clutch and an on/off throttle. You will get better.

You should be getting anywhere from 40 to 55 mpg... that would cover about 85% of the driving habits.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I installed Killers clutch mod on tuesday night. I learnt to love the on/off clutch and throtle but did the c lutch mod to ease the short shift when the missus is pilion.
Now I love both but will stick w the mod as the zone is stil short but the clutch is light as a feather.
Check the posts Killernoodle wil do more levers put your nam on his list, it sounds like his mod is what you might find attactive.

The fuel consumption is on the high side for city riding but in the country/freeway it drops dramatically. Sounds like you just need time.
I went fr om a honda vtr 250 with its porridge clutch, I could flat foot it and it was feather light but prety gutless. Now I spend double on juice but the ride is so worth it!
Moving to the fz6 was a big learning leap, but I am glad I did it
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Try riding a bike with a choke or an idler. My monster died yesterday cruising past the gate. I had to try three times to restart it cause it was cold. All while still coasting.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While your release clutch count 1 one thousand till you get to 4 four thousand if you release slow at that speed it will help you get use to getting into first off course slightly add has as you release clutch it's how I was taught and worked for me figured you can try it :)

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldnt believe how difgicult the FZ6 clutch seemed on the first few rides. What's helped me most is doing figure-8s in a parking lot with my foot on the rear brake and the clutch in the friction zone. The more I do it, the smaller an 8 I can do and the better my clutch control gets. Adjustable levers and throttle tamer have helped, too.