Squeaking brakes?

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
My front brakes squeak sometimes. Not always, and I can't really identify specific conditions that contribute it. Seems to be only at certain speeds, generally slow, and light brake pressure. Pads and disks are in good shape. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Dirt and dust between the pads and piston .
You need to remove the pads , clean the back of them and apply some anti squeal paste.works a treat :thumbup:

You can also get some brake cleaner from your local auto parts store and try to clean them. Just make shure you cover some stuff up that you dont want the cleaner getting on. My back brakes sqeaked here about 5 weeks ago cleaned them with some brake cleaner squeak gone. I hope it is that easy for you to.

Just for fun, clean your rotors with brake clean before a ride, and after a ride.
Spray it on a clean rag and wipe them down. Marvel at the amount of oil and crud that comes off. Ride, then clean again and marvel at the amount of junk that sticks after only a few miles.

racers clean thier rotors alot. It may only be 3 feet at 50 mph but that 3 feet may be the difference between a foot down stop and the car that runs the stopsign in front of you.
I promise you feel a difference. The squeeking is not near the concern as the stopping distance. Usually if you will clean them it fixes it.

Mine sqeak too with light pressure, usually when I'm below 20mph rolling up to a stop sign. If I squeeze a little harder the squeak goes away. I've cleaned the rotors and it helps for about 20 miles then the squeak comes back. It's annoying but they still work and still look good. For $70 I may just replace the pads and see what happens.

My front brakes squeak sometimes. Not always, and I can't really identify specific conditions that contribute it. Seems to be only at certain speeds, generally slow, and light brake pressure. Pads and disks are in good shape. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

That's nothing to worry about. Mine squeak sometimes - Just before I come to a complete stop or I'm braking lightly when going very slowly. It's normal.

I found that using a different brand of pads (not Yamaha OEM) stopped the squeak but eventually the pads gradually wearing down. The resultant dust does cause some small squeak to reappear several months later.

Cleaning the pads and discs (chemically and using a soft brush or vacumn cleaner to suck up - not blow- the dust), using anti sqyeal grease (copper grease) as directed and ensuring that anti squeal shims (if any) are retained also helps.

I use my FZ6 in all weathers and the inside of the brake pistons may get dirty with mud etc. These may also need cleaning.

PS: guys what are "rotors" - is that a US expression for brake discs that the brake pads operate against ?

My front brakes squeak also. I will have to try the brake cleaner, and if that doesn't work then I will get that lube stuff to put behind the pads. It does get embarrassing for some reason though.

as other have said, it will bw the rear of the pad and piston ,get the rear of the pad greased (high temp purpose made stuff) and the problem should go away.

PS.. Do our brakes have anti squeal shims??

Mine squeak also at slow speeds and coming to a stop. The other think i am not sure of is (i checked all of the pads and rotors and they are all fine) when you are driving a car and you get the rubbing sound or sensation like it feels like it digging into the rotors, or grinding sounds, is that normal. If not what can i do, just take off all of the pads and clean them along with the rotors. Also, what is a good brand of aftermarket pads, and are the 4 fronts and the 2 rear the same?

Do our brakes have anti squeal shims -

er maybe not, I cannot remember. Maybe its my old VW Passat that has them. It happens when you get old !

For the Front, I used 2 x twin packs of EBC "High Performance Organic, Carbon Grapghite or Sintered" pads # FA199 and for the Rear I used 1 x twin pack of EBC # FA174. The front pads are bigger than the rear pads.

For the Front, I used 2 x twin packs of EBC "High Performance Organic, Carbon Grapghite or Sintered" pads # FA199 and for the Rear I used 1 x twin pack of EBC # FA174. The front pads are bigger than the rear pads.

where did you buy them from, a dealer or on line. Are any high performance organic pads good?

www.motosport.com has what you need Dominic.

Mine are a little over halfway worn out now. The squeaking is getting louder now.
I have the Galfer upgrade pads.

How are the EBC brake pads for motorcycles? I always change my brakes in the vehicles to EBC rotors and pads, always work like a dream and never warp or pulsate like stockers do. When you change brakes on our bikes to you need to have the rotors resurfaced?

Back