Sprocket Cover Cleaning

Tedpro

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Now that I've gotten my sprocket cover off, it looks a little nasty in there.

I was thinking of using break cleaner to help wipe off all the old grease, and use white lithium grease to replace it with.

Any suggestions?

If you're referring to the front sprocket cover, that "grease" is actually chain lube that has been flung off the chain. It's normal and yes it's nasty.

-Cleaning it with brake fluid, I don't know what effects that will have on the chain and sprocket. I've only wiped mine out with a dry cloth.

-Why would you want to clean it and then spray white lithium grease in there?

If you're referring to the front sprocket cover, that "grease" is actually chain lube that has been flung off the chain. It's normal and yes it's nasty.

-Cleaning it with brake fluid, I don't know what effects that will have on the chain and sprocket. I've only wiped mine out with a dry cloth.

-Why would you want to clean it and then spray white lithium grease in there?

Wasn't sure what to do use for lube, or how it should look.

Spray some WD-40 on a rag and wipe away.
WD-40 works great. It is a de-greaser.

Just clean the cover. Don't try to "replace" the grease, as other comments have noted. You shouldn't be putting white lithium grease on your chain/sprockets anyways.

Hello,

Now that I've gotten my sprocket cover off, it looks a little nasty in there.

I was thinking of using break cleaner to help wipe off all the old grease, and use white lithium grease to replace it with.

Any suggestions?

I'll be cleaning mine soon too. Did you have to remove the shifter linkage metal to get the cover off? Doesn't look too hard to do.

As others said, wd-40 works pretty good for this kind of thing. I just removed my rear tire hugger/chain guard and cleaned it with wd-40 and it worked well. I had to let the wd-40 sit (in the tough spots) and agitate it with a firm brush to get it to come out easily.

Thanks,

Dennis

I'll be cleaning mine soon too. Did you have to remove the shifter linkage metal to get the cover off? Doesn't look too hard to do.

As others said, wd-40 works pretty good for this kind of thing. I just removed my rear tire hugger/chain guard and cleaned it with wd-40 and it worked well. I had to let the wd-40 sit (in the tough spots) and agitate it with a firm brush to get it to come out easily.

Thanks,

Dennis

I never had to remove the linkage when I removed the front sprocket cover.
You just need to wiggle it out.

Kerosene and a toothbrush for the heavy deposits. Once that's cleaned up, I wipe the inside of the cover with a kerosene soaked rag.

This is also an excellent opportunity to thoroughly clean your drive chain and both sprockets.

While your there, I'd run a rag/paper towels right in front of the sprocket itself. Lots of thown chain lube is usually gunked up to the left of the front sprocket. You can also use WD40 for that cleaning as well...

BTW, I loosen the upper shift linkage (not remove) and it allowed the shifter shaft out a little for easier removal of the cover.

Scott

Last edited:
Back