Sprocket and Chain Kit

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to change my chain and both sprockets on my bike. I want to get a better launch off the line (top end speed absolutely does not matter to me, I don't need 140+ speeds at this point in my life lol) so I was wondering if there are any "all in one" kits out there that I could purchase instead of trying to figure out what parts will be compatible with each other as well as my bike. Any suggestions from you guys who have done this mod?

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly what I was looking for except for the fact that these kits aren't for an 08' model. Will these work for an 08'???

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly what I was looking for except for the fact that these kits aren't for an 08' model. Will these work for an 08'???

99.9 percent sure. The chain is the same through out the years I do believe. Stock is 16 on the front and 46 on the rear (sprockets).

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
See, all of these options are confusing to me (not very mechanically gifted)
I can't tell the difference between any of these kits. Does anybody have a specific coversion kit that they have used and can recommend from experience?

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
You just need a 15t (t=tooth) Front sprocket, 46t Rear sprocket, and a 520 chain. You'll want it steel or better, alluminum, while lighter, wears much faster. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.. not sure how to be simplier than that.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
See, all of these options are confusing to me (not very mechanically gifted)
I can't tell the difference between any of these kits. Does anybody have a specific coversion kit that they have used and can recommend from experience?

To have a faster "off the line" speed you will want to go down a tooth in the front sprocket (15 tooth) and up a couple of teeth in the rear (48 tooth). If you just want a little better take off I would suggest just to do the front sprocket (15 tooth) as I have learned on here if you do that mod you will not have to change the chain. Yet, if you want the same gearing as the beloved R6 you will change the whole sha-bang (both sprockets and chain). Hopefully this has helped. A lot of people have done just the front but have not read a whole lot on the whole conversion. Just look at a bicycle smaller gear on the front and larger gear on the cassette (rear gears) equals faster take offs and added torque but slower top end speeds. (which you don't really care about)

Last edited:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just like to say thanks to you guys. Took fifteen minutes to get an answer. This forum is amazing.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just as a heads up.. Motosport.com has a deal right now $20 off $150 or more, or $50 off $250 or more... with free 2 day shipping, i just ordered ASV levers last night at 3am, and the email said i should have them by tue!

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
To have a faster \"off the line\" speed you will want to go down a tooth in the front sprocket (15 tooth) and up a couple of teeth in the rear (48 tooth). If you just want a little better take off I would suggest just to do the front sprocket (15 tooth) as I have learned on here if you do that mod you will not have to change the chain. Yet, if you want the same gearing as the beloved R6 you will change the whole sha-bang (both sprockets and chain). Hopefully this has helped. A lot of people have done just the front but have not read a whole lot on the whole conversion.

I have done had both set ups. If all you did was ride around town I say go with 520 conversion. If you like to get out and ride for hours at a time I would only change out the front.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just note one thing...You don't HAVE to change to a 520 setup. Stock is a 530 chain and sprockets. A 520 setup is a tiny bit lighter, but the stock 530 is said to be a little bit stronger or longer-lasting. Since absolute performance isn't your goal, the stock 530 setup with a 15t front (which is 1 tooth less than stock) and the 46 rear (stock number of teeth) would be fine. Not sure of a cost difference in your area, but stick with some of the brands others have noted here. Don't go cheap.

Last edited:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just note one thing...You don't HAVE to change to a 520 setup. Stock is a 530 chain and sprockets. A 520 setup is a tiny bit lighter, but the stock 530 is said to be a little bit stronger or longer-lasting. Since absolute performance isn't your goal, the stock 530 setup with a 15t front (which is 1 tooth less than stock) and the 46 rear (stock number of teeth) would be fine.

True. But having said that you will have to change out the chain either way. If you stay with the 530 and change sprockets the stock chain will be to short (if i'm not mistaken).

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are going to do a conversion this is what you will need, a 520 conversion kit, and no the stock chain won't work on the conversions. The 530 is heavier, thicker. With the 520, the chain is lighter and thinner, the sprockets are also thiner. As far as the ratio that works go -1 tooth in front and +2 in the rear. That is what you kneed. Don't mix the 2 different kits together it will wear out the chain or the sprockets. I used the 520 conversion with, 520 RED CHAIN, -1TH IN THE FRONT AND +2 IN THE REAR (i picked the rear sprocket in black. "BUT", you will need to get a speed-o-healer to fix the speedometer, mine was off by +14.7%.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Are these really worth it? Performance gains etc... How about highway travel? What's the dif in engine speed? Really wanna do this mod, but also intend on a LOT of highway travel! 6hrs round trip...slightly above speedlimit. Would the gain in accel be worth the loss in mpg and top end? Lots of questions...sorry

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
I'd like to add two things to the conversation.

1). Don't get caught up in the "kit" thing and assume that you are getting any bargains. I'll tell you straight up that I haven't priced every available chain/sprocket combo from every manufacturer but the one's I have checked were at least the same price as buying the pieces individually, a couple were actually more. I guess the manufacturers are charging the consumer for doing the 'leg work' on the tooth counts on the sprockets and the special packaging they put them in.

A good example on how to save money and still get exceptional value would be to use the house brand of sprockets by the aftermarket distributor Parts Unlimited. These are hardened steel sprockets that are actually manufactured by a known manufacturer but without their logo and tags. I've sold and used them for years with nothing but excellent results. Then go with the best chain money can buy. While opinions on this will obviously vary, Bryan and I have used Tsbukai's Alpha Gold series chains many times and are sold. We'll use nothing else. You pay for them, but they are most definitely worth the extra bucks.

I did a quick look up/pricing just for giggles and came up with this; PU C/S sprocket; $15.95. PU rear sprocket; $31.95. Tsbukai Alpha Gold chain 530x108; $165.95. Total; $213.85 retail.

2) I'd love to hear from anyone having done the 520 conversion with some long term experience. Going from a 532 to a 530 makes perfect sense to me because 532's are not a mainstream size any longer, but the 530 is, and will likely be for some time. The 520 chain is standard issue on off road race bikes and I know from experience they can put up with a ton of abuse, but the most powerful dirt bikes and ATV's are still putting out about half the HP of the FZ6 and you don't get 100% traction in the dirt. I'm not real sure in my mind that I'm willing to make that swap because of this. I spoke with our Yamaha tech rep at length about this the other day and he felt like a good quality 520 would probably hold up to the FZ6, but added that he didn't think that they would last as long in terms of mileage and would be afraid that they would make more noise than a 530 would.

Anyone?

Bruce

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
True. But having said that you will have to change out the chain either way. If you stay with the 530 and change sprockets the stock chain will be to short (if i'm not mistaken).

Actually, no. The stock chain length is fine for just this limited change. Any further, like going to a +2 at the rear, will require a longer chain.