Spring Cleanup - Need help/advice

s4mt3k

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have researched and found a good deal of info however wanted straight answers to some of my questions. If you can take a minute to read through and share any knowledge it would be much appreciated.

My bike is an 08 and other than the first service which was done after the first season, I have done nothing. I rode one season after and now we're onto the 3rd. Granted I don't ride much due to the weather and my job but I feel like my bike needs some love (jealous of my car) and maybe one or two upgrades.

A link to a part is always much appreciated.

My mods are a K&N Filter & a 2Bros CF Exhaust.

1- Fluids: how often do you change oil/grease/other fluids, filters... Easy to do?

2- Chain: I've never done anything to it (they tightened it after 1st service and it's been a season since). It's showing some rust, is it redeemable or should I just change it?

3- Brakes: How often do you change them? or @ what mileage

4- Tires: I'm still on my stock tires, how bad is that?

5- Clutch: anything need to be done here?

6- Fluid flush: radiator? brake? anything else?

7- Spark Plugs: same, how often, stock or upg?

Finally, upgrade time:

8- I really need to get rid of my ugly front blinkers (the rears are fine coz I got the FE kit with the 2bros exhaust)

9- I'll be putting in a Power Commander but need to find a dyno in my area

10- I will attempt to tackle boneman's headlight set up. wish me luck...

I know it's a lot of questions but unlike cars, this is my 1st bike... Thanks a lot guys.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can possibly help you with No. 9
I have a map for an FZ6 w/ TwoBro's and a K&N filter with the airbox mod. It should put you somewhere on spot or near a better air to fuel ratio with some added power. It cost me over $300 but because you're a forum member haha! :rockon:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1- Fluids: how often do you change oil/grease/other fluids, filters... Easy to do?

2- Chain: I've never done anything to it (they tightened it after 1st service and it's been a season since). It's showing some rust, is it redeemable or should I just change it?

Finally, upgrade time:

8- I really need to get rid of my ugly front blinkers (the rears are fine coz I got the FE kit with the 2bros exhaust)

I know it's a lot of questions but unlike cars, this is my 1st bike... Thanks a lot guys.

1 - change the oil and filter every 3000 miles - really easy to do, use search to find a how to
2 - never done anything? do you lube the chain at least?? most likely just clean and lube the chain and you'll be all set
3 - i have 13.5k miles on my 05, i have never changed the pads or fluid, i plan on chainging the fluid this year.
4 - depeneds on how many miles you have on them, mine lasted only 7500 miles.
5 - adjust, follow what the service manual says
6 - a good radiator flush will ensure longterm reliabilty, as for brake fluid, im sure it wont hurt
7 - again how many miles do you have on the bike. change them following the service manual
8 - watson makes nice looking signals, but you can get mosty any ones you want
9 - good luck
10 - good luck

11 - lube all the pivot points (clutch, brake, side stand/centerstand, etc...)

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
1 - change the oil and filter every 300 miles - really easy to do, use search to find a how to...

Where I come from :D, we do oil every 4K (maybe 3K) -- assuming post break in.

I wouldn't do 300 miles unless those miles were on a track and I was cranking it at high RPM for most of it.

Hopefully, it was a typo.

Please never let your chain stay rusty for very long -- it is bad for the chain (maybe not so bad), and it sure looks bad.
If I were shopping for a bike, those with rusty chains automatically go into the "they don't take care of their bike" category.

Dennis

Last edited:

s4mt3k

Reaction score
Visit site
LERecords and everyone else, thanks for the replies. I am @ 3157 miles right now. 1st season I put 1800 miles or so since I bought it and then got my 1st service. Last season I put the rest on. Like I said, it's def low miles due to my work schedule and the ****ty ass summer we had last yr in MA.

s4mt3k

Reaction score
Visit site
I can possibly help you with No. 9
I have a map for an FZ6 w/ TwoBro's and a K&N filter with the airbox mod. It should put you somewhere on spot or near a better air to fuel ratio with some added power. It cost me over $300 but because you're a forum member haha! :rockon:

special thanks to you sir! I will try it as soon as I get the power commander.

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
Spring Cleanup

Finally, upgrade time:

Here's my advice / help as my FZ6 is an S2 2008 naked. I use for commuting and for fun.

1, I don't do services on my bike i leave that to people who know best. but you must always check your levels, Engine oil, Brake fluid.

2, I always Lube my chain every week and also after a wet ride. This is a must if you want to look after your chain. While lube is going on you can check the chain to see how tight it is. 50mm play is what my book says.

3, Not sure how long they will last. I'm on 17,200 miles now and stil plenty of wear.

4, My stock tyres lasted 4825 miles. My 2nd set lasted 12100 miles (Dunlop Roadsmarts) The front is still on and the rear was changed a couple od week ago. There's still a couple of thousand miles left on the front i guess.

5, Leave alone, I just lube the levers pivet points.

6, leave well alone unless you know how to do.

7, Done when the services are due. I think it's every other service, again check the book.

Finally the only advice i can give to anyone is to clean or wipe down your bike after every ride, I do. This is the best way to make you look for the condition of things on your bike.

ENJOY !!

Last edited:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
i service and change things more regularly then most but i like my things very well maintained so i do them more often, most will not change things this regularly but hey im an anal prick and have access to all the tools and nohow:thumbup:
few extras added in

1.easy to do i do my oil every 5000km and filter every 10000km
2.give your chain a good clean and lube and just watch the tension on it i lube mine when it needs it, that could be every week or at the end of a days ride depending on conditions
3.Pads when they are worn out and i replace fluid in my bikes every year
4.not that bad im guessing it isnt far off a new set
5.keep the freeplay adjusted (says how in the book) lube it up if its getting stiff and take the leaver out and give it a clean up and grease every blue moon
6.i flush brakes every year and coolant every year too
7.i think the plugs are 20000km change, i havnt done them as im nowhere near there yet but ill probly do them about 10 15000 you can use iridium plugs but i wouldnt bother for the price difference you can get a few changes from the originals and keep them fresh
8.i am in the same situation with the two bros rears and stock fronts but i dont mind the fronts so im just going to get some clear lenses
9.the map you have been offered will work but i would rather get a custom one because all bikes have minor differences
10.good luck:thumbup:
11.check all your nuts and bolts regularly all sorts of things can come loose by themselves
12.check your overflow hoses for kinks and blockages (insects have a habit of building nests in them)
13.lube all your things like stands, brake pivots, the spring part in the footpegs things like this can annoy you when they are not done and are so much nicer when kept clean and lubed up (dont lube them too much as crap will build up, just enough to keep it working well and clean)
14.keep it as clean as you can, the cleaner it is the easier to work on it and the better it looks
15.enjoy the maintanaince as much as you can and take your time with it

Last edited:

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the owner's manual state you should change the oil every 1800 miles and change the filter every 3000 (or 3600)?

I would reccomend a cold drink and a long read of the owner's manual for all of these questions. I'm thinking the most educated people are those that designed the bike-hence my "read the manual" statement.

Anyone else find a good maintenance interval thread? there should be a sticky on one somewhere...