Speedometer / Clocks issues, i'm stuck!

WillFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I posted a while back that my display was playing up (very faint and not complete display) - I managed to get a new one from eBay but must have picked up a slightly different model as the connections are different - the '04 FZ6 N clocks have 3 connector blocks (a block of 6, 4 and 1 wires), the new display i've got has just 2 connector blocks (5 and 6 wires).

My question is: is it possible to re-wire the new clocks so the connections are the same as the original clocks? would this work?

And another question - is it possible the problem with the original clocks is something to do with wiring / connections? I thought it was water in the unit as it was a gradual decline in functionality but i don't want to start chopping things up if the original unit is salvageable.

If anyone has any ideas i'd be very grateful!! I've tried searching the forum for the past hour but can't find anything!

Thanks

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
My question is: is it possible to re-wire the new clocks so the connections are the same as the original clocks? would this work?

Possibly. You'd have to pull up the wiring diagrams in the service manual and compare.

And another question - is it possible the problem with the original clocks is something to do with wiring / connections? I thought it was water in the unit as it was a gradual decline in functionality but i don't want to start chopping things up if the original unit is salvageable.

It's a possibility, and it's why I always check connectors first. Try cleaning the connections up with rubbing achohol and reseating them really well. Probably won't fix anything, but it's awesome when it does. :thumbup:

Your best bet would probably be contacting the seller and seeing what the deal is. It sounds like you got the wrong year display.

WillFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
all sorted!
managed to re-wire it last night, wasn't too tricky in the end.
only prob now is i've cracked the little plastic bracket that the speedo sits on so its a bit wobbly, so need to find the part number to order a new one....