Sparkplug cap keeps popping off!!!!

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
My Sparkplug cap on most left side of bike, popped off on my last ride. I snapped it back close but it now keeps popping off any know whats the cause for that?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna suggest that you check that particular plug to see if its loose or possibly cracked. It sounds like pressure is building under in that water-tight fit between the rubber boot and the valve cover.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna suggest that you check that particular plug to see if its loose or possibly cracked. It sounds like pressure is building under in that water-tight fit between the rubber boot and the valve cover.

I Would've never thought of that! Good call, but then again, I wouldn't expect anything less....:rockon:

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably really bad but when trying to pull spark plug cap #1 off I noticed that the sparkplug is still connected to the plug cap I have no clue now what to do?

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense meant by this at all but the spark plug lead is about 4 inches long that goes into the top of the head. It is pretty tricky even popping that off far enough to get it out in the first place. Are you sure that the spark plug is connected or is it just the long plug lead?

It should be hard to pop the lead off the head of the plug for the first 1/2 inch or so as it pulls over the threads on top of the plug. That is how the electrical connection is made. If it is pulling right off easily then either it is not making that connection or like you said the plug is still connected.

The plug still being connected would absolutely explain why the plug wire came loose. The compression from the motor would certainly have the power to pop that loose.

What I would do is pull the wire completely out, see if the plug is in fact still attached. If it is still attached you may be able to separate it in the very limited space available or you may have to loosen or remove the radiator to get access. Once I had everything out I would check the threads on the plug. Are they stripped or is the plug itself broken. If all is good, I would take a small mirror and a flashlight and try to see down into the cylinder head (may be tricky :D) and try to see in anything is obviously broken or stripped down there (lets hope not). If all seems good there, you should get a new plug that matches the one you just pulled out and carefully try to thread it into the top of the head. (The spark plug wrench in the tool kit on the bike is about the only tool that makes this possible by the way). If you can get it all torqued up to spec then I would re-install the lead and test her out.

If the lead is just loose and not connected to the plug in the first place I would get a new plug and insert the top of the plug into the bottom of the lead and make sure there is a solid connection (you may have to unscrew the top of the plug to make it fit into the lead)

Sorry for the long write up but I hope it helps.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with a customers car once:

some numpty had replaced the spark plugs on service as he should of, but hadnt noticed that the gasket was missing one of the plugs, causing pressure to escape from the combustion chamber and blow the plug cap off.

Just another possibility ;)

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the plug is definitely connected still,what i can't tell is how much of the plug is connected. Looks like the next step is to remove the radiator, damn that might be over my head.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the plug is definitely connected still,what i can't tell is how much of the plug is connected. Looks like the next step is to remove the radiator, damn that might be over my head.

Okay tomorrow we're going to see what's going on.We're both here in San Diego. I'm going to meet up with mercm3 and we should be able to solve this.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Way to help out a fellow forum member in need!!! :thumbup: rep on it's way from me. Something you may want to keep in mind is that you can buy yourself a bit of room by removing the radiator hose clamp and loosening the bottom bracket of the radiator. This allows you to "swing" the radiator out a bit and possibly gain a little bit of play. This might be just enough to get the plug out without having to take the whole radiator off.

That being said, the plug on cylinder #1 is a pain in the :spank: to get access to. You'll have to remove all other caps just to get into it.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey I'm off work today and could stop by...mercm3 lives right down the street! :D

I'm wondering if the little terminal piece at the top of the plug has come unscrewed and is stuck in the cap, so it's not holding on?

I gotta take my bike into the insurance office to get pics taken of it. I'm switching to AAA insurance. Screw work.

Last edited:

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah motogiro kicks ass, must be that cool laser!!!! Yo Bryan it's Aurora's bday today, no bike work allowed but your welcome to cruise by tomorrow after work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now THATS what I love about forums like this one ;)

Good form bud :thumbup:

Thanks for the pat on the back but he lured me over there saying something about beer! :spank::D

Kidding..... :rolleyes: I never had a taste for drinking. But always sip what the wife is drinking.

Way to help out a fellow forum member in need!!! :thumbup: rep on it's way from me. Something you may want to keep in mind is that you can buy yourself a bit of room by removing the radiator hose clamp and loosening the bottom bracket of the radiator. This allows you to "swing" the radiator out a bit and possibly gain a little bit of play. This might be just enough to get the plug out without having to take the whole radiator off.

That being said, the plug on cylinder #1 is a pain in the :spank: to get access to. You'll have to remove all other caps just to get into it.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Thank you for the heads up and info on this. I did a spark plug change on my FZ6 before and found out some of the tricks.

Will let you all know how we make out on this. :D

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's all fixed! :BLAA:

Cliff probably has a better explanation of the problem than I do...so I'll let him chime in

Cliff and mercm3 give the thumbs up...

allgood.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cali Rider (John was dead on the money. :rockon:

That one spark plug worked its way out of the head. Who ever installed that plug forgot to tighten it. The crush washer wasn't even crushed. Checked the spark plug well, with a mirror and flashlight, to make sure there was no debri and it looked good. We re-installed it and the engine fired on all 4 cylinders for a few revs and then we couldn't restart it. We unhooked the battery to do an ECU reset and still wouldn't pop off till we cranked it with an open throttle. It fired and idled fine so Lem is good to go!

Thanks Cali Rider for the insight!:thumbup:

Thanks BryanDH for support and picture. :thumbup:

This forum is great!:rockon: