Spark plug issues

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
today I tried to change the spark plugs on my FZ6 naked 2005.

Lessons learned:
The new spark plugs I got (iriduim CR9EIX NGK) come with terminal adaptors, which need to be removed, before you can use them (Spark Plug Construction)
You need to unscrew gently the top tip you see in the following picture:
View attachment 32037

It is very inconvenient to change spark plugs by only moving the radiator a few centimetres lower (following service manual's instructions), especially if you don't have the appropriate tools (I have a torque wrench [pre-set to 18Nm Sykes-Pickavant] but it is way too big for FZ6 topology without removing the radiator). The problem could be that I don't have a good wrench adaptor for the spark plug. The adaptor which comes with the bike's tool-set is very short and you need to do some "fishing" to take it out once you tighten the spark plug.

My old spark plugs looked like this:
View attachment 32035
View attachment 32036
What do you think about its health?

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
looks pretty good, at worst a little cold or rich but not bad. how many miles are on the plug. since the black is only on outside and not in the middle is a good sign. if you had oil fouling it would be wet and have black on everything. fuel fouling it would have been wet also but cleaned up. so looking pretty good. if you want to learn more search for spark plug reading on google, its a good skill to have for diagnosing vehicles. you can find out if oil is getting in cylinder or if injector is leaking, if its to lean or to right just but by looking at plugs.

:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, the removal and replacement of the plugs became easier from the 2007 models on up. There is actually more space between the radiator and the engine so it isn't such a PIA.

I have an '06 so I know what you are talking about. That is why I replaced my plugs with the Iridiums. I currenlty have over 34,000 miles on my plugs, and I am not planning to replace them ever again.

FWIW I got 20,000 miles on my stock plugs, It was replaced not because I had to, but I wanted to. Yes, I have been known to stretch things out on my bike, tires, plugs, brake pads, etc.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I am also looking forward not to replace them again (unless necessary) :)
My bike has already 36K miles (quite a lot for a 2005 model in UK) and didn't know about its history (no Log Book present).

I experience sudden rpm fluctuations during idle, engine stalling (especially when it is well warmed up) and poor throttle response.

I changed spark plugs, will change air filter, already put some Seafoam, will do throttle bodies and valves adjustment, change coolant fluid, and also I am waiting for the new TPS to arrive. I'll also probably get a new set of ignition coils (just in case..)

Hopefully my issue will be resolved after that. If not... then something should be going really wrong with my bike.... :eek:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. 2nd time and wasn't too bad. Loosened the radiator to get a little more hand space. Had the same issue with the Iridum plugs, more of an irritation. My plugs had been in for 8,000 miles or so. They were NGK dual gap and three looked like the one you had and the the was a better color (not so rich). The Iridum plugs run much better with a smooth idle and better low speed throttle response. On the radiate I loosened top and bottom as well as the hose bracket. Used the spark plug wrench in the tool kit plus a 3/8 ratchet to loosen the plugs. The tool pulled the old plugs out easily and made putting the new one in much easier.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
I only have the V5 registration paper :( :confused:
I assume this is called also log-book. I was not aware

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your TPS is original, Yamaha will replace it free as it was a re-called part. If you call yamaha and give them your VIN, they can tell you if its been done. Your problem symptoms sound like the TPS.. I believe all the 04's were re-called and some 05's. They've updated the part..

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,
I have already ordered 1 week+ ago from a Yamaha dealer, but unfortunately they haven't call me back.
I'll wait until the end of this week and them I might go somewhere else hoping for a quicker customers service.

Cheers

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,
I have already ordered 1 week+ ago from a Yamaha dealer, but unfortunately they haven't call me back.
I'll wait until the end of this week and them I might go somewhere else hoping for a quicker customers service.

Cheers

If eligible, I would get the free, installed one, but that's just me...

A call to Yamaha would let you know if it needs replacing or was never replaced under the re-call...

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry, I used the wrong expression before (you see I am not a native speaker...)

When I said "ordered" I actually meant I asked for the free replacement, as the TPS has never been replaced on my bike.

I did exactly what you suggested, called the dealer, asked for replacement history and arranged the replacement, but it has been almost 10 days now...

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaa.. yes, I have thought about it , to become one of these customers that you want to get rid of with as fast as possible...

But...

What if they give me an old TPS just to stop calling 3 times a day? :BLAA:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be surprised if they can't get a TPS in 10 days.... there should be a heap of them in Yamaha Europe ..... you need to let them know you still want it.