Spark plug change/check @ 8000 mi

Prince Valium

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 and am near my 8000 mile interval. Can anyone please tell me if the spark plugs need to be changed at this mark. The Manuel says to change them but my mechanic says if they are iridium or NGK they do not need to be changed due to their long life. Thanks.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 and am near my 8000 mile interval. Can anyone please tell me if the spark plugs need to be changed at this mark. The Manuel says to change them but my mechanic says if they are iridium or NGK they do not need to be changed due to their long life. Thanks.

Stock NGKs? I'd change them. Iridium NGKs? I'd leave 'em. But that's just me.

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike is running ok then don't bother. I also have an 09 and 18000 miles with original plugs. If you follow everything the manual tell you you'll be broke real fast.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I just changed my plugs (standard NGK) they had 14k miles and still looked fairly new. I would have put them back in but already had new ones. Oh BTW I change the stock ones at 7k, again because i bought new ones before checking. I'll never learn.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't touch the stockers until about 12,000 miles and they looked about new. I put in Iridiums so I wouldn't have to do it again, period.

With 8,000 miles, if its running good, your good for at least another 4,000 miles, probably more...

Now, if your bored, want some skinned knuckles and spend a couple of bucks, I'd change em.. :thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got a little over 20,000 on my 06 stock plugs and the bike runs perfectly fine. Ill probably change to iridium, though, when i check the valves at 26000

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless someone has changed them, it didn't come stock with Iridium.

Picture here is at 15,000 and these are badly worn opening up the gap beyond manufactures spec by 0.008"
It doesn't sound like much but it sure ran smoother with fresh plugs of the proper gap. FWIW: I installed CR9E (NOT CR9EK) as it has the conventional single ground strap and I like to look every now and then and check the burn. So I don't mind pulling the plugs.

picture.php

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine at 6000 and the gaps were about .035. If I wanted I could have just regapped them but instead replaced them. Figured it won't hurt.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Prince Valium,
PS - for being N00B, good job thanking those who contributed on your post! :thumbup: That's how its Done! :D

chroline

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless someone has changed them, it didn't come stock with Iridium.

Picture here is at 15,000 and these are badly worn opening up the gap beyond manufactures spec by 0.008"
It doesn't sound like much but it sure ran smoother with fresh plugs of the proper gap. FWIW: I installed CR9E (NOT CR9EK) as it has the conventional single ground strap and I like to look every now and then and check the burn. So I don't mind pulling the plugs.

picture.php

I'm confused as hell. I checked the NKG website and it says that the 2009 model uses CR9E and 2008 and earlier uses CR9EK. When I went to Amazon to check fitment it says the CR9EK fits and CR9E doesn't. What gives?

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused as hell. I checked the NKG website and it says that the 2009 model uses CR9E and 2008 and earlier uses CR9EK. When I went to Amazon to check fitment it says the CR9EK fits and CR9E doesn't. What gives?

My 2009 owner's manual says CR9EK.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you also use the search function, and type in some keywords like "Spark Plugs" you will also be able to catch up on more threads relating to your questions.

I changed my stock plugs at 20k miles, only because I wanted to, not because it was running bad or it failed. However, there have been others on this forum where the plugs failed at 8,000k miles.

I installed the iridium, where it lasted over 50k miles. Once again, it was changed because it was the most logical thing to do since my heads were removed. It was not changed due to performance or failure. 99% of the riders on this forum were to install Iridiums, it would probably be the last set they install. But there have been others on this forum where the Iridiums did not perform well, causing poor fuel mileage. But I think that is more on the rare unlucky side.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2009 owner's manual says CR9EK.

"I'm confused as hell. I checked the NKG website and it says that the 2009 model uses CR9E and 2008 and earlier uses CR9EK. When I went to Amazon to check fitment it says the CR9EK fits and CR9E doesn't. What gives? "

The 07-09 Genuine YAMAHA SHOP MANUAL calls for CR9EK.

I'd stick with that or the iridium replacement.:thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be. I just didn't put the double sided ground strap plug back in "my" 2008.

I'm not saying this is what others should do; I'm saying, there is some evidence that Yamaha thought twice about what plug should be in there and went back to the single ground strap (2009) like the Famed Iridium plug.

Final Impact installed 2009 spec CR9E instead of 2008 spec CR9EK. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yamaha and NGK know - other sites may not be pulling the correct data.

PS - it fits and does not have contact issues with piston!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the first set of stock plugs at 12k. I have to say not one iota of
difference which is to say the old ones worked great.

The set I have now has 18k on them and maybe just my imagination seems the bike doesn't have as much get up and go as it used to. It could also be 27k miles put on this bike and I am ready for more CC's.

Anyway I picked up a set of 4 CR9EK at Advance Auto. Prices on ebay were past $10 per plug which didn't seem right. Advance Auto has them for $5.69 and if you use P20 code you get 20% off. Comes out to $4.55 per plug plus local tax.

Not is a terrible hurry to change out plugs again so this will wait to the coldest part of winter

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the first set of stock plugs at 12k. I have to say not one iota of
difference which is to say the old ones worked great.

The set I have now has 18k on them and maybe just my imagination seems the bike doesn't have as much get up and go as it used to. It could also be 27k miles put on this bike and I am ready for more CC's.

Anyway I picked up a set of 4 CR9EK at Advance Auto. Prices on ebay were past $10 per plug which didn't seem right. Advance Auto has them for $5.69 and if you use P20 code you get 20% off. Comes out to $4.55 per plug plus local tax.

Not is a terrible hurry to change out plugs again so this will wait to the coldest part of winter

Pull a couple and look. Could be they are worn pretty well. I had mine out at 10,000 and they looked great. At 15,000 the tables had clearly turned.

PS - went back to the single ground strap due to the increased gap when it began to wear. My thoughts being the single straps round off the electrode and the gap remains fairly stable. I can't say the same for the CR9EK double side strap plug.​

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced mine with Iridium's at about 13k miles, originals still looked new and zero difference. Iridium's are going strong for about 55k miles now. Pulled a couple when I checked the valves about 16k miles ago and they still looked good.

I'll probably replace them at the next valve check just for peace of mind.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull a couple and look. Could be they are worn pretty well. I had mine out at 10,000 and they looked great. At 15,000 the tables had clearly turned.

PS - went back to the single ground strap due to the increased gap when it began to wear. My thoughts being the single straps round off the electrode and the gap remains fairly stable. I can't say the same for the CR9EK double side strap plug.​

The gap on any spark plug (don't know about the iridiums) will open up with miles.

I set mine on the tight of spec's so as they wear (the gap opens), they stay inside spec's longer. I'd also be checking the plugs sooner if your gap 5,000 miles later opened up .008" over spec.

I would think, with one ground strap, vs two on a standard plug, you'll get twice the wear as the spark is now not shared by two grounds.

An update, down the road on the performance of these plugs/wear/gap would be appreciated...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen conventional plugs round off the electrode, but never seen them open the gap as much as these did gnawing away at the sides.

I know arc over voltage is LESS when not under compression. So its not fair to compare these to plugs with 30,000 miles but they have more wear than non-waste spark of 20,000 miles. To reiterate; they have 15,000 in a waste spark environment.

They're going to get changed for colder plug shortly anyway as the timing is going to get bumped several degrees. :thumbup: Thus the need to evaluate burn temp on a conventional plug. :D