Sooo unlucky

mixalis82

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear all,

Things with my bike (fazer 600 '04) are not going as smooth as I'd like. The most recent problem was with the immobilizer cables, got fixed with 150euro. And now, the bike has died on me once more.

So, yesterday evening, I was riding as usual, no fancy stuff. And there it goes, the revs went down, throttle did not seem to respond and I pulled to the right with alarms on etc.

as soon as I was at full stop, the engine had gone full stop too. I went on trying the ignition - nada. Not a sound, not a peep out of it. The standard check while turning the key was fault free. No battery problem.

Tried to bump start it with 2nd gear on, nothing.

Could anyone shed some light over this, I'm really frustrated and I think I might torch the damn thing where it stands and be over with it. So many problems in so little time.

Dear all,

Things with my bike (fazer 600 '04) are not going as smooth as I'd like. The most recent problem was with the immobilizer cables, got fixed with 150euro. And now, the bike has died on me once more.

So, yesterday evening, I was riding as usual, no fancy stuff. And there it goes, the revs went down, throttle did not seem to respond and I pulled to the right with alarms on etc.

as soon as I was at full stop, the engine had gone full stop too. I went on trying the ignition - nada. Not a sound, not a peep out of it. The standard check while turning the key was fault free. No battery problem.

Tried to bump start it with 2nd gear on, nothing.

Could anyone shed some light over this, I'm really frustrated and I think I might torch the damn thing where it stands and be over with it. So many problems in so little time.

Sounds like the immobilzer cables was not the real problem, or there is still a problem with them....FZ6's are not known to be unreliable...sheesh, they are just about unbreakable mechanically normally!

:thumbup:

First off.. Don't get mad for me suggesting it, but make sure it has clean gas :eek:

I'm no expert but this is what I'd try to troubleshoot your issue..

A. When you turn the key on, with the kill switch set to run, Can you hear the fuelpump? Should be able to.
If not Check the grounds and wiring leading to the fuel pump.
B. Check the vacumm lines going to the gas tank and make sure they're not plugged or kinked
C. Could be something wrong with the kill switch, check wiring.
D. Kickstand/center stand switch check wiring
E. Check the tilt sensor, should be under the brake side rear side cover.
F. Check the ECU and make sure it's securely plugged in.
G. Check the sparkplugs, ensure they're screwed in and the boots are tight, and the coil wires are tight in the boot.
H. Check the connections from the plugs to the coils (behind the battery tray)
I. Could be a TPS issue perhaps
J. Could be immoblizer related, not sure how that works as the US version doesn't have it.

Only other things I can think of for the bike to die at speed without noticable mechnical failure would be a blown headgasket, or overheating, which is pretty unlikely.

You said no sound when you hit the start switch, does that mean the starter doesn't even kick over?
If So.. A, B, and G-I won't apply.
How many miles are on it?

Last edited:
First off, it's not possible for me to get any more mad than I already am :p

Thanks for the suggestions though :D
I've had the gas problem before and it didn't die on my straight off, just random switch offs. TPS has been replaced some miles ago.

The bike is relatively old so 31K miles on it.
Most of the things that you've suggested seem viable, albeit I cannot know for myself, not that of a mechanical know how guy.

I've tried to unscrew the KillSwitch casing, managed to do the first screw, second one couldn't, it was way too fastened.

Most importantly, I don't remember the fuel pump turning on, a significant detail but I was mad like hell at the moment (because I just got the bike back from the shop 3 days ago and it broke down again..).

The immobilizer issue, last time I had the immobilizer indication blinking when I turned the key, so that was an indication, I doubt it has anything to do with the current problem. Maybe the shop-master :p did not plug in all that he should (found a connection cable (headlight) unplugged when I got it so he might have done a **** of a job and left something important off).

Which of the listed things could I check on spot with just the tool kit that comes with the bike? I'd hate to have it towed to the shop (100+ euros cost) just to have a plug put back in.

Thanks for the much needed information and well, support :)

EDIT: Yeah , I hit the start switch and it doesn't kick over at all, no sound, nothing, like I've never even touched it .

Last edited:
I would suggest the 'kill' switch as a likely candidate..... there have been a few members who have had that switch fail, and it acts just like you are describing.

You can investigate this further, by wiggling the switch side to side. Seems the contacts in the switch wear/corrode in the center to the point that the 'normally closed' switch opens. That causes the main power fuse for the whole bike to open, 'killing' all power.

Sometimes, moving the switch itself side to side brings 'good' metal back into contact. It's only a couple of mm you have to work with.... but at this point you don't have much to lose, right?

Well, I dragged it by hand to the nearest shop, hard work but it had to be done. The fuel pump does not trigger when I turn the key so I dunno what's wrong. I will get an update in 2 days :S

sorry to hear about it man. once u get thru it im sure the bike should be ok. the FZ is usually extremely reliable. i treat mine pretty rough and she just grins and gets on with it.

good luck!!

Back