Something we have in Canada

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
So you get maybe a little better gas mileage and slightly cheaper insurance rate... Hmmm, I don't see the point.... If I were you I would spring for the FZ1 if I had to choose between the two...

Just read some reviews on the FZ8 and your right the fuel mileage is better (39) but Yamaha made the fuel tank smaller so the range isn't much better than the FZ1. My major problem with the FZ1 is fuel mileage and range. Start looking for fuel at 120 miles. My FZ6 will do a third better than that. Why can a Suzuki GSX1250FA do so much better on fuel and have decent range?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why can a Suzuki GSX1250FA do so much better on fuel and have decent range?

Very different animal. It's a big low-end torque motor which does not need to spin up to be happy. 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Yamaha uses a de-tuned race engine (from R1). 11.5:1 compression and requires higher RPM to be in the power zone.

If you keep FZ1 at low RPM (I do this often for just cruising around or commuting) it easily gets over 35mpg (well.. mine does :don'tknow: )

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Very different animal. It's a big low-end torque motor which does not need to spin up to be happy. 10.5:1 compression ratio.

Yamaha uses a de-tuned race engine (from R1). 11.5:1 compression and requires higher RPM to be in the power zone.

If you keep FZ1 at low RPM (I do this often for just cruising around or commuting) it easily gets over 35mpg (well.. mine does :don'tknow: )

What's your range? I'm in a rural part of the country and the next town is 200 km (120 miles) away. I also use my FZ6 for touring and anyone who tours know how important it is to have long range.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your range? I'm in a rural part of the country and the next town is 200 km (120 miles) away. I also use my FZ6 for touring and anyone who tours know how important it is to have long range.

I typically go 125 before I start looking for gas, BUT.. I know I have another 30 I can do, if I need to. I've done 147 once and the gauge just started blinking.. that was 2-up with lots of highway miles.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit I like the FZ8 Fazer, but I don't know if you guys (in canada) get the GT version

If you like the GT one, wait till you see the Givi one :D

0.0.1.fz8fazer8lato.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
I must admit I like the FZ8 Fazer, but I don't know if you guys (in canada) get the GT version, here's the Dutch page, here's the extra's (compared with the standard version):

I think it looks even nicer with the full fairing, and in white (well they don't have red :rolleyes:).
Here's a pic of the black one:

It costs €700 more than the standard version but I think it's worth it (for the sort of riding I do).

Let's all move to Canada or Europe; they get all the cool stuff...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dig the Ninja. Hoping to test-ride it in the next few days (just because there will be loads of demo rides at Daytona.. gotta try the new FJR too :D )

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
these 'sport tourer' bikes are getting smaller pillion seats each new model that comes out, kind of misses the point.

i d rather have a gpz 900 sportbike for touring (look at the seat on that thing!) than the z1000/fz1

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Love that color. I've always been partial to titanium and gray metallic paints. the only thing I dislike is the exhaust and it appears that that the rear fender is shorter which translates into less touring ability.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
It's like all the best things from the FZ6 (the front half) plus the best things from the FZ1 (the tail) all rolled into one! :D

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
these 'sport tourer' bikes are getting smaller pillion seats each new model that comes out, kind of misses the point.

No, I think you are the one missing the point.
That being, if you are going to "sport tour" do it solo.
Get your "pillion" her own scoot...;)

That is what they (the MFGR) want you to do.

Besides if your going to tour two up, get a Conny, or a wing...

BTW a FZ6 is a perfect bike for the wife..:BLAA: