Something strange? no start?

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
So i tried starting my bike this morning and it just went reh reh reh reh reh reh.. no start. no signs of battery power loss the rehs were consistant. So i just roll started it and now its starting up just fine.. any ideas?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get to the battery first. You'll need a multi meter to check the basic's of the battery.

Check the bolts connecting the cables to the battery that their clean and TIGHT. (PUT A WRENCH TO IT)

It should be about 12.8 volts fully charged. When cranking/spinning over, voltage will drop to roughly 11 or so.

How old is the battery? Put it on an automatic charger (preferably 1.25 amps and let it charge FULLY overnight.

I would then get it load tested (most auto parts stores, Walmart, etc will do it for free).

***And DO NOT JUMP START FROM A RUNNING CAR. You can jump from an automotive battery as long as the car's turned off****....

My old battery, while failing would still start the bike at 8 volts but my gauges would go out momentarily while cranking(its telling me the battery is failing).

Please post back what you find..

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it started with a jump from my car ( car off). I guess its the battery then. Any way to save it? or just get a new one i'm not sure how old this one is i got the bike a year ago with the same battery. its cold out here. Is it worth the 20 bucks for the battery tender or just replace. i really would hate to lift the tank everytime to connect the tender.

All my tools including multi meter are at school 30 minutes away =\

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If its worked fine for the last year and your riding hasn't changed, didn't leave the lights on(killed the battery by accident), its likely toast.

You can pull it, it should be fully charged and THEN LOAD TESTED, but most likely its done.

Where you are, I suspect the bike is laid up for most of the winter. I'd PU a battery tender anyway to fully charge up whatever battery you have.

Should you order a battery on line, it MUST be trickle charged BEFORE being used in the bike.

It comes about 80% charged, the additional charge tops it off and you'll get longer life out of your battery.

Count on 6-8 hours at 1.25 amps, trickle charging, to get a new battery fully charged.

NOTE, If your cig lighter is hot all the time, you can plug your charger into that and charge the battery W/O pulling the tank.
I'd stick with the OEM Yuasa which you can at Amazon(again, you'll need a charger or borrow one).

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah my cig lighter goes right to the battery with just a 25 amp fuse in line.

It's half way laid up for winter i ride my dog a mile to the mail box and back once or twice a day. no extended rides yet too icy / snowy

I did just get it figured out with the title. I have a rebuilt from savage title and my insurance went from 700 every 6 months to 150 for 6 months since im just paying liability. =D makes me slightly more cautious and nobody is paying for it if i wreck it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah my cig lighter goes right to the battery with just a 25 amp fuse in line.

It's half way laid up for winter i ride my dog a mile to the mail box and back once or twice a day. no extended rides yet too icy / snowy

I did just get it figured out with the title. I have a rebuilt from savage title and my insurance went from 700 every 6 months to 150 for 6 months since im just paying liability. =D makes me slightly more cautious and nobody is paying for it if i wreck it.

I've NEVER had insurance on any of my bikes (except NY where it was mandatory) since 1979. Nice drop in insurance for you too!!!!