Someone attempted to steal my FZ6

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
So this morning as I walked to my car I happened to see that my lock connecting from my bike frame to a steel support on our car port was missing. No sign of the lock anywhere, just completely gone. The bike cover was still on and no damage to the bike at all.

I was beyond pissed off when I saw this. My bike has only been at our apartment complex for about 2 months, always covered up and locked to the pole. So naturally, I drove my bike to work because I figured the POS was hoping I didn't notice the lock was missing and thought they could finish the job while I was at work.

Now my bike is being stored at the garage at my workplace and I can't even drive it anymore because I'm in fear if I bring it back to our apartment. Maybe I'm paranoid but if I bought a really expensive lock, if that person(s) come back they'll just destroy/vandalize my bike if they can't break the lock.

Our apartment lease is up on July 31st, so we're already looking for a new place with a garage...but this just annoys me b/c we're already paying $840/month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

I guess the only other option I have is to park it in our apartment (which is against their rules), but there really isn't any extra room at all to park it inside. And that's if it'll even fit through the doorway since I installed bar end mirrors.

This is the lock I had. I got the 6' long and 20mm thick one: Kryptonite HardWire Cable Lock - RevZilla

But yeah, I'm just completely disgusted with our society and have been in a pretty crappy mood all day.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your bike is still with you in one piece. Keeping at work for a while definitely a good plan. Maybe consider decent insurance against theft and a heavy duty chain in a couple of weeks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to hear this. Something that might work for you. It works for many. This the is the Scorpio SR-i900R alarm and disabler system.

I also know a guy that got his bike stolen but he had a GPS type device that he tracked and the day it was stolen he and some friends went out at dark and got the bike back Lol! :jawdrop::eek:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to hear this. Something that might work for you. It works for many. This the is the Scorpio SR-i900R alarm and disabler system.

I also know a guy that got his bike stolen but he had a GPS type device that he tracked and the day it was stolen he and some friends went out at dark and got the bike back Lol! :jawdrop::eek:

Would have burned the persons house down who did it.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
So this morning as I walked to my car I happened to see that my lock connecting from my bike frame to a steel support on our car port was missing. No sign of the lock anywhere, just completely gone. The bike cover was still on and no damage to the bike at all.

I was beyond pissed off when I saw this. My bike has only been at our apartment complex for about 2 months, always covered up and locked to the pole. So naturally, I drove my bike to work because I figured the POS was hoping I didn't notice the lock was missing and thought they could finish the job while I was at work.

Now my bike is being stored at the garage at my workplace and I can't even drive it anymore because I'm in fear if I bring it back to our apartment. Maybe I'm paranoid but if I bought a really expensive lock, if that person(s) come back they'll just destroy/vandalize my bike if they can't break the lock.

Our apartment lease is up on July 31st, so we're already looking for a new place with a garage...but this just annoys me b/c we're already paying $840/month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

I guess the only other option I have is to park it in our apartment (which is against their rules), but there really isn't any extra room at all to park it inside. And that's if it'll even fit through the doorway since I installed bar end mirrors.

This is the lock I had. I got the 6' long and 20mm thick one: Kryptonite HardWire Cable Lock - RevZilla

But yeah, I'm just completely disgusted with our society and have been in a pretty crappy mood all day.

Consider yourself lucky. Mine was stolen. Thefts are high in this area for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if cops where in on it as well.

Maybe the guy won't come back for it. I hope you catch him. If you do, end his meaningless existance so even his family knows his crime.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a Spy 5000m alarm on mine. You can get them for about $100 online and they work great. Every night I lock her to my car, cover her up, set the alarm, and shine a spotlight down on her.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some high end locks come with extra coverage too (they have faith in their product I guess). Keep that in mind as you shop!

Good luck!

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I hate is the feeling of being violated. That someone thought they could take something not theirs, something you've worked hard to earn. I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you will find a solution that will convince the thieves there are easier targets elsewhere.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
even chains can be a bit dodgy, you can apparently freeze and then smash some of them with a can of air duster.

I use this chain at home:
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-MAMMOTH-THATCHAM-SQUARE-SHACKLE/dp/B002RB2LQQ"]MOTORCYCLE MAMMOTH THATCHAM SQUARE CHAIN 12MM X 1.8M WITH SHACKLE LOCK: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

I also use a disc lock bolted through the wheel spokes (and a forget me not reminder cable)

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your bike is still with you in one piece. Keeping at work for a while definitely a good plan. Maybe consider decent insurance against theft and a heavy duty chain in a couple of weeks.

Thanks. Yeah, I have comprehensive, deductible is $100. Will definitely have to look up some solution if I plan on bringing back to my apartment..

I'll have to look into that Scorpio more, looks nice...but not cheap either.
I wonder why that guy didn't bring a few officers with him to arrest the trash that stole his bike.

Would have burned the persons house down who did it.

Consider yourself lucky. Mine was stolen. Thefts are high in this area for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if cops where in on it as well.

Maybe the guy won't come back for it. I hope you catch him. If you do, end his meaningless existance so even his family knows his crime.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

haha, we have the same mindset. Although I would love to put a few 5.56 rounds through him if I caught/ever caught him, it wouldn't be worth it due to our laws. But yeah, as harsh as this sounds, these POSs don't deserve to live.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I put a Spy 5000m alarm on mine. You can get them for about $100 online and they work great. Every night I lock her to my car, cover her up, set the alarm, and shine a spotlight down on her.

That price isn't too bad. I'll have to look into that as well. Thanks

Some high end locks come with extra coverage too (they have faith in their product I guess). Keep that in mind as you shop!

Good luck!

Thank you!

What I hate is the feeling of being violated. That someone thought they could take something not theirs, something you've worked hard to earn. I'm sorry you're going through this. Hopefully you will find a solution that will convince the thieves there are easier targets elsewhere.

Exactly. It's a really shtty feeling. Especially in my case where I can't really do anything (besides an alarm). There are no windows to where I can see my carport and no way to really put up a camera. It's like I can't even drive my bike anymore..

Not trying to make things worst, but those cable locks are a waste of time and money, any bolt cuter will go through it like butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9diZ382W7QQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8

You should get a chain and a good quality padlock.

An alarmed disc lock like the Xena discussed recently is also a good investment.

I really should have looked into locks more when I bought mine. I just didn't want to spend $100-$200 on one so I figured the 20mm thick steel cable would suffice. Ignorant of me, because obviously not.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pics of my bike just before I brought it up to Michigan.

5xkFmGL.jpg

MUMJcuy.jpg

eh4X7h2.jpg

I don't think I got around to posting pics in my conversion thread..

Since these pics, I've put on a Two Brothers exhaust and a Motodynamics taillight.

I really don't know what I'll end up doing. I'm afraid of bringing it back to the apartment because nothing would stop the guy from taking a hammer to the headlight assembly or anywhere else if he couldn't break a new lock or if an alarm went off. I will probably end up waiting until we find a new place to live with a garage..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a hard time believing someone took the time and tools necessary to cut a lock but didn't bother taking the cover off the bike. Maybe they are just screwing with you?

"Look this guy locked his bike to this pole, I bet I could cut that lock off with my bolt cutters, here hold my beer"

OR maybe they cut the lock at night and were waiting for daylight for you to go to work and stealing a bike in daylight is a lot less suspicious than doing so at night with flashlights!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a hard time believing someone took the time and tools necessary to cut a lock but didn't bother taking the cover off the bike. Maybe they are just screwing with you?

It is a bit odd. 13nick31, is there a chance the cable wasn't 100% locked? One of my cable locks I make a point of tugging to be sure it's properly secured.

In any case the lock was still removed from under the cover so someone was tampering with the bike.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder why that guy didn't bring a few officers with him to arrest the trash that stole his bike.

They probably brought baseball bats to make sure he couldn't steal one again.

I park mine at my apartment complex and some ********** parked his dumb BMW in the same spot with it the other day. I was pissed. He got a 24 hour notice or his car would get towed + a lease violation so if he does it again he'll get kicked out of the complex.

983666_10100219095647679_8218427282771454279_n.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Apartment complexes are one of the best places to steal a motorcycle if they are parked outside. I live in an apartment complex myself, but I make sure I also have a garage that comes with it too.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site

"Look this guy locked his bike to this pole, I bet I could cut that lock off with my bolt cutters, here hold my beer"

OR maybe they cut the lock at night and were waiting for daylight for you to go to work and stealing a bike in daylight is a lot less suspicious than doing so at night with flashlights!

Yes to the second part. That's the only logical reason I could think of. They were most likely hoping I wouldn't notice the lock missing (the bike has been covered/locked and sitting for a couple weeks since the weather hasn't been the best...and I need to get a license plate light to drive at night).

It is a bit odd. 13nick31, is there a chance the cable wasn't 100% locked? One of my cable locks I make a point of tugging to be sure it's properly secured.

In any case the lock was still removed from under the cover so someone was tampering with the bike.

Zero chance it wasn't 100% locked. When I lock it up I make sure everything is secure. The odd thing about all this too, that night before, around 11:30pm, I thought I heard a noise outside and then a louder vehicle drive off...I wasn't dressed, but didn't really think someone would really attempt to steal my bike. Another thing, our neighbor's older Astro Van was broken into about 3-4 weeks ago. Someone busted the back window and probably stole some stuff inside. I was just coming home from the gym and the cops were there and one officer said something like, "Probably some punk kid just messing around.."

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
My dad had his (quickly becoming mine) TW200 stolen some 20 years ago.

He saw some minor damage around the ignition so he bought a big chain or cable. Within a week, they came back, prepared.

I personally couldn't live with parking my bike overnight outside. For protection from weather and a-holes... It would break my heart to see it gone.

That said, it's just a thing. That's what's insurance is for.