Solution for a hard to unlock seat mechanism?

mett248

Reaction score
Visit site
The cable or latch mechanism seems to be really tight when first removing my seat. I don't want to break my key jamming it forward and it will eventually unlock but the cable might have to be oiled. Would this be the same procedure as a clutch cable lube? Any better solutions?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Press down on the passengers part of the seat as you turn the key- works for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We need to narrow down the actual issue first.

You should be able to see the locking mechanism that holds the seat itself.
With the seat off, snap down the mechanism as if the seat was on. Now try your key and see if it opens easily.

If NOT, you know the mechanism / cable / lock cylinder is gummed up... You can separate the cable from the lock cylinder to narrow it down.
Then, depending on where the issue is, brake cleaner, then maybe some reg oil on the mechanism/inside the cable.

IF the mechanism open's easily as designed, as posted above, you can push down on the seat to get some stress off the mechanism.
OR, you can SHIM the hook just a tad so it's not so tight.

As a side note, make sure the FRONT plastic TAB on the seat is indeed inside the frame holder (next to the fuel tank). It's not difficult to miss that front "hole".

I put just a tad of grease at that spot so the seat goes in easier... And make sure all the rubber bumpers are in place (attached to the seat).

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it can also be opened from underneath if the lock is very tight. I usually spray it with some lube / ACF50 once open to prevent it jamming

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+5 for pushing down on the passenger section of seat and then turn the key.

I know some have discarded the black rubber bumpers from the passenger section so the lock works freely but then the seat has the option to rattle.