SoCal/NoCal/Crater Lake/Sonora Pass Aug. 2011

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome looking ride guys! You hit some of my old favorites from when I lived in the Bay Area. Honestly some of the best motorcycling roads I've yet to see!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Day 4

Unfortunately my last day riding with John started out with John not feeling any better after a restless night's sleep. We were however within walking distance of his favorite breakfast place in Tahoe. Per his recommendation we both had pancakes with raspberry compote that lived up to the hype and drank alot of coffee.

Leaving Tahoe our string of delays due to roadwork was not to be unbroken since we hit at least four more getting over Monitor Pass down Highway 395 and finally to Highway 108 and the Sonora Pass.

CaliSonoraPass.jpg
[/IMG]

Both our bikes and ourselves seemed to dislike the elevation at the summit and as John still wasn't feeling anywhere near 100% we took it rather easy on Highway 108 coming into the Sonora area where we grabbed a quick bite and re-hydrated since the temperature had climbed to around 100º.
After lunch we said our farewells and John headed up to Rocklin for the night and I headed home to the Bay Area with fond memories of the ride and wishing I could ride for a few more days with Cali rider.

As John said in his previous posts, spending days with someone you haven't know for a long time can end up being awkward and uncomfortable if you find you have nothing in common to talk about except bikes or your personalities aren't compatible, that was certainly not the case with us. Thanks John for including me on your ride and making it a ride I'll never forget, for many reasons.
:thumbup:

Uhhh one week later, here I am! My bike ran like a champ going up the pass, and I only blew two corners. Opps! Yeah, probably one of the most technical roads I have ever come acrossed, I'll explain later in my trip report.
P1010697.jpg

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Uhhh one week later, here I am! My bike ran like a champ going up the pass, and I only blew two corners. Opps! Yeah, probably one of the most technical roads I have ever come acrossed, I'll explain later in my trip report.
P1010697.jpg

That does it! I'm going to have to do this big-deal Sonora Pass highway. I'm sick of everybody doing it except me. Blowing turns is okay, right, Vegasrider, if there's no oncoming traffic (and you already knew it). It just doesn't "look" or "feel" good. Hey, is that the same GPS that went sliding down the road the other week---or did you get a new one?

Last edited: