So, whos does a 8k and 12k mile service themselves?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
A few months ago I purchased an 05 fizzer and the prev owner said he didnt get the 8k service done. it now has 10.5k and im thinking of doing the 8 and 12k services in one hit myself since most of the stuff is a repeat according to the manual. Im also gunna swap all my cables, all my brake hoses, sync the throttle bodies, rebuild the brake calipers and master sylinders, and flush the coolant. Besides a well-stocked garage and the parts to rebuild my brakes, is there anything else I need? Anyone have any advice? Im decent with a wrench but ive never done a coolant flush which is the only thing Im worried about. Id love to hear from ya guys!

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I hear the coolant flush is simple. People drain it to put water in for tracks all the time, can't be that hard. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

zuull

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that jumped out at me from your list is the sync throttle bodies.
Used to do that on my carburated 750,but I don't think you can adjust
fuel injected.I guess 2005 is fuel injected ? My 2006 is. :rolleyes:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Swap cables... sure, synch throttle bodies... of course, flush coolant... absolutely. Rebuild calipers and master cylinder? Ok, but sounds like overkill at 10k miles. Has bike spent some time outside in weather? Seeing some corrosion or leaks? Regarding brake system, even manual says:
Disc brake components rarely require disassembly.

My only advice would be to download manuals and read up on what you want to do. Some instructions are a little terse, but they're good otherwise.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, heres what at the bottom of the chart for service outta the manual:
The air filter needs more frequent service if you are riding in unusually wet or dusty areas.
 Hydraulic brake service
 After disassembling the brake master cylinders and calipers, always change the fluid. Regularly
check the brake fluid levels and fill the reservoirs as required.
 Every two years replace the internal components of the brake master cylinders and calipers, and
change the brake fluid.
 Replace the brake hoses every four years and if cracked or damaged.

so why not? itll give me some more things to swear over as i work on the bike. Yes the bike spends its life outside now. The prev owner garaged it but I cant so it stays covered when not in use.
and zuull, EFI does need syncing, check page 3-17 of the service manual on a how-to. thisll be a lot harder than my dads BMWR1150GS... Damn boxer engines are easy to work on :D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed all my coolant out the past weekend. It is very easy. The worst and most time consuming part is removing the overflow tank under the seat. In the course of doing it I found it is best to unclip the wires and hoses that are in the way of the two bolts you must remove. I was trying not to unhook them and it slowed me down a lot. Just remember where they go and it is fine. Actually draining the radiator and refilling is a snap and takes 5 mins.