So I've decided to check my tire for nails...

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm working on my rear brake and randomly decide to check the tire for nails or other damage - pull up a lamp, slowly spin the wheel inspecting every inch. Alright, there's an interesting brown/rusty circle 2mm wide, I scratch it with a screwdriver - indeed it's metal. Work the head out a bit with flat screw driver and pull it out with pliers - psssssshhhhhhttt :(

The tire is Metzeler MEZ4 manufactured in the end of 2007, probably too old to be worthy of repair. Now I don't know if I should be happy for finding this in my garage and not on the side of the road in the woods with discharged cell phone at 3 AM or kick myself for ruining a tire that could have lasted one more season.

The take away from this is that you should probably include close up tire checks in your pre-ride check book.

tire_hole.jpg

tire_nail.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's very minor and can easy be repaired with a quality plug (no need to pull the tire off). As you said though.. 07 is OLD.. time for new rubber anyway.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with Erci; even if you have sufficient tread left that rubber's probably dry and cracked (my Saab failed its last safety inspection as its tires were seven years old, and starting to dry-rot). :spank:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you mentioned that.

I moved my bike two days ago in the garage and the rear tire sounded funny, more squeeky than usual.. Felt hard enough.

Put it on the centerstand and check the PSI. I usually keep it at the max, 42PSI, my gauge shows 16.5, shoot, 3 month old PR3 tire another friggin hole.........

Start looking, nothing... spray window cleaner, No bubbling anywhere. Put a tub under the tire, raise it, fill with water, NOTHING... Check the base of the valve, no leaks... Scrape all those little friggin grooves in the PR3 looking for something small, nope, clean...

Top off the valve again with air, Surprise! Some slight bubbles coming from the inner valve!! Check the valve, its tight.

Pull it out, put a new center in, problem fixed! Apparently a piece of crap got stuck in there or ?. The valve seal in that center piece is too hard to see, but once found, it certainly made my day... I wasn't ready to pitch a $200. 3 month old PR3!

And +1 if you need to plug it. As small as it is, a "Dyna plug" would solve that hole real quick: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-1007-Tubeless-Tire-Repair/dp/B000EXSER4"]Dynaplug 1007 Tubeless Tire Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
it sucks to find something like this but I think it's better to do so when your not in the middle of a ride and stuck some where waiting for a friend with a truck or trailer to come get you.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it sucks to find something like this but I think it's better to do so when your not in the middle of a ride and stuck some where waiting for a friend with a truck or trailer to come get you.

.. or you can carry a mini pump (or inflator) and a plug kit with you :D