Snowboarding Gear For Winter riding?

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Snowboarding Jackets and Pants Stored away some were. Would anyone recommend Snow Gear For winter Riding? If Not Y. Also what else would you recommend on the Cheap side. Is there something to protect your finger tips that works with out costing an arm an a leg?

I commute From Modesto To San Jose to work, 90% of the time 2 up. my commute is 140 miles in total per day 1:30 one way with traffic. My First 30 minutes are going on a straight line on a one lane road with Farms all around. at times it gets Cold and Fogy. My next 20 miles are twisty roads with a Steep hill for about 2 miles it gets really cold here because of the mountains. The rest of the way its nothing but City highway. Thanks

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't think snowboardin gear offers the same levels of protection as motorcycle gear, both in terms of the elements and an off.

For the amount of commuting you are doing i'd suggest investing in some proper kit, textiles may be best.

you coudl try wearing the snowboarding stuff over a set of leathers, but i don't know what it would be like. I cetainly wouldn't wear snowboarding gloves, as they would probably disintegrate instantly in a crash.

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried using the pants in the colder months, over my jeans and pants and jacket when I first got my bike and had no gear. I was just putting around my block learning my FZ at the time though going real slow on empty streets.

They offer some warmth but I the previous post is right, they offer no protection what-so ever, I would get some quality gear as soon as i could, especially if your gonna be in traffic or at any kind of speed.

Jay

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heh. Funny you should ask this - this morning on my way to work i was actually thinking the opposite - using motorcycle gear for winter sports.
I agree with the above, given the commute you probably want to invest into motorcycle gear - it has proper padding (shoulders, elbows, knees) and will handle abrasion better. I just recently bought Firstgear Kilimanjaro 5 jacket with HT pants and i'm loving it! :rockon:Can ride in 40 degrees, and still have most of the vents open. The total i paid was $400. I also got a proper pair of gloves with gauntlets to tuck your sleeves into - what a difference that makes!. I'm thinking of getting off my rear axle and writing up a proper review this week.

ATGATT!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't - same reasoning as a bunch above, no protection against anything except maybe cold.

Also I wouldn't find it comfortable either. I've ridden with winter gloves that weren't designed for riding (mainly that weren't pre-curved or padded palms) and it was an awful experience.

I still need to find a good pair of cold riding pants -- even though I basically retire the bike for the winter, because I haaaaatteee cold.