Small modification...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to avoid taking that shock apart here is my biggest tip towards getting the preload correct.

Measure from the fixed end of the springs end to a location on the shocks body past the adjuster. The reason is this; While the spring is under pressure its compressing the top out damper internal to the shock. Once the spring is removed from the shock MEASURE THAT VALUE AGAIN. Its likely going to be 3 to 4 mm short when the shock is fully extended. So, while calculating your installed spring height, keep that in mind. We as humans can not pull on the shock hard enough to compress the top out damper.

From some notes:

Here is the installed spring height of the FZ spring at the settings listed.
#1: 175 mm
#3: 173 mm
#4: 171 mm
#5 170 mm

#7: 167 mm

This is with the spring fully extending the shock. With the spring removed, these numbers will be less. Compare both parts with springs installed as once they are removed, the numbers are less. Ask how I know!

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
These modes finally come to the end...now my FZ6S have full R1 2003. suspension bolted on.
How it rides I'll see in spring 2016. when gets little hotter at my place and I can play with settings.
Thanks to FinalImpact for guidelines in how to mount R1 rear shock.
Best regards to all Forum members and wish you a Happy New Year 2016.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
These modes finally come to the end...now my FZ6S have full R1 2003. suspension bolted on.
How it rides I'll see in spring 2016. when gets little hotter at my place and I can play with settings.
Thanks to FinalImpact for guidelines in how to mount R1 rear shock.
Best regards to all Forum members and wish you a Happy New Year 2016.

Some details... What all did you do? Swing arm too or just the shock and maybe the FZ spring!

Thanks and Good luck, i hope it works for your needs! Oh and keep us posted!

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site
I can see that all previous pictures posted here are gone...I'll try to post again when got some time.
In regards to R1 shock I followed your suggestions and dismantled fully shock to insert Racetech preload adjuster SYPA 4001 and FZ6 shock which is simple if you have a tool to press spring. Also some nitrogen refilled because low pressure discovered after measurement (didn’t dismantle the reservoir and replaced oil for time being).
Some bushings fabricated (found drawing somewhere here on forum) in order not to change shock bearings between FZ6 and R1...all other was done as you described in your post how to.
When start to ride I’ll see if necessary to change for stiffer spring since I'm 6.2" and 220 lbs without gear...time will show but so far I'm happy with the new look of the bike in total.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: