Slow Throttle response

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all...not so happy about something that happened just the other day. I let the bike warm up to a little over 160F and while I was backing out of the garage I gave it a few blips on the throttle...and to my utter dismay it sounded like a choked flooded response before catching back up.

I am getting close to my 1500 mile service, need to change the oil and am going to check the air filter to see if there is anything that might be keeping the air flow from being perfect...but is there anything else that I should be thinking about???

Brand new shouldn't mean issues!!! BOO:(:confused::confused:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't think of anything that could go bad in 1500 miles.

Could be bad spark plugs, air filter, throttlebody sync, vacuum lines, etc.

Throttle response can and will be laggy before it's fully warmed up. How was it after this?

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't think of anything that could go bad in 1500 miles.

Could be bad spark plugs, air filter, throttlebody sync, vacuum lines, etc.

Throttle response can and will be laggy before it's fully warmed up. How was it after this?

Going to clean the air filter (just cleaned 600 miles ago but got caught in the rain so just in case), change the oil and give it a general once over tomorrow. Going to make an appt to take it in and get valve timing checked and let them give her a once over.

Will try letting it get nice and hot before I do all this and see if it happens again. Thanks for the response. :thumbup:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, you're CLEANING the filter? Do you have a K&N? If not, throw the dang thing out and replace it if it's dirty. The stock filters are not designed to be cleaned.

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, you're CLEANING the filter? Do you have a K&N? If not, throw the dang thing out and replace it if it's dirty. The stock filters are not designed to be cleaned.

Yes I have a filter that can be cleaned...if you look on my signature I've got a BMC Air Filter so no worries:)

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had your tank up recently? Check for kinked vent/overflow hoses. I've seen people complain of poor/uneven running if these are blocked in some way.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had your tank up recently? Check for kinked vent/overflow hoses. I've seen people complain of poor/uneven running if these are blocked in some way.

+1.
Also check on the vacuum lines going to/from the throttlebodies while you're under there.

Honestly don't bother getting the valves checked at 1500 miles. It's more work and money than its worth.

Have you (OP) synced the throttlebodies since you've owned the bike? It's part of the 600/1000 mile service I believe.

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
+1.
Also check on the vacuum lines going to/from the throttlebodies while you're under there.

Honestly don't bother getting the valves checked at 1500 miles. It's more work and money than its worth.

Have you (OP) synced the throttlebodies since you've owned the bike? It's part of the 600/1000 mile service I believe.

Have not synced the throttle bodies, will get that checked. Haven't had the tank up in a while, probably been month and a half, but while I'm at it I'll check the vacuum hoses.

Is syncing the throttle bodies something I can do? I would rather keep the money in the pocket...but if it's delicate work I'm going to pay someone that is properly trained to do it.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
There should be no problems @ 1500 miles. Maybe a kinked vacuum hose or something but your filter should be fine, plugs, etc. also. Just make sure it is warmed up and all of your hoses are not kinked and if it happens again bring it to the dealer (as I assume it is under warranty)