Slow Speed Churning

arronjackson

Reaction score
Visit site
Went on a long trip over the weekend and experienced some low speed churning sound in rhythm with the rear tire rotation. The sound only happens when applying throttle, not during coasting. Once above 25km/h the sound fades into the noise of the bike.

I checked the chain that night and it was super dry from the long ride in the rain I had. Moving the chain links some were more difficult to bend than others and nearly stayed in place when moved. I lubed the hell out of the chain and the sound and vibration seemed to have disappeared. I haven't had a chance to take the front cover off and check the front sprocket life but the bike has 46,000 km [28,500 miles] on it.

My other suspicion would be the rear brake rubbing. I don't get a lot of free spin on the rear wheel at all and I'm planning on replacing the rear brake seals as well.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A frozen chain or frozen links is usually an indication of a chain that has reached the end of its service life. It's a sealed o-ring chain, so if there are frozen links it means that the o-rings have failed and the lube has escaped.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is getting "Kinky" I agree, the O rings are probably done.