Sliding feeling from rear tire.

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just fixed my bike up from crashing a few weeks ago and I have a thought/worry/issue about my rear tire.

When going around corners it feels like it just slides around with me not go around the turn. Almost feels like its on ice. I have no idea what to check to see what could cause this. I went on a 2 hour ride earlier today and I dont know if im just paranoid or if this icy feeling is caused by something i can check.

Thanks for the help..

Also my brake lever/mirrors/fairing stay was the only stuff damaged in the crash.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just fixed my bike up from crashing a few weeks ago and I have a thought/worry/issue about my rear tire.

When going around corners it feels like it just slides around with me not go around the turn. Almost feels like its on ice. I have no idea what to check to see what could cause this. I went on a 2 hour ride earlier today and I dont know if im just paranoid or if this icy feeling is caused by something i can check.

Thanks for the help..

Also my brake lever/mirrors/fairing stay was the only stuff damaged in the crash.

Tire age, condition, pressure, and by chance does it have something on it? How far did you ride?

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
It's an 07 with stock tires still, yesterday I rode for 60 miles. I can check the tire to see if anything is stuck on it but i don't believe there is. It is just a weird feeling even when i pull on the throttle quick the rear tire jerks to the left a little.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
check your rear tyre is aligned correctly, is there any chance your frame is bent too?

also make sure the front forks aren't twisted slightly

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt the same way with my stock tires on my 07. I just replaced the tires a month ago and I can't believe it is the same bike. I used to be on pins an needles going around corners and now I am very confident. I'd personally get them replaced regardless of how much tread is left. Mine looked almost new.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aside from tire age, have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel? Does it feel like it turns different from one side to the other? If you let go of the bars does it pull to one direction? Just some ideas:thumbup:

Ooops, I guess I missed greg's post:0

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Aside from tire age, have you checked the alignment of the rear wheel? Does it feel like it turns different from one side to the other? If you let go of the bars does it pull to one direction? Just some ideas:thumbup:

Ooops, I guess I missed greg's post:0

Yes I'd still check out all the other ideas. You did say it was crashed so maybe something else is going on as well.

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I do not believe the frame could be bent from how I crashed. I also had someone check the bike out and they said it looked good to go. I will check the rear wheel alignment when I get a chance. Of course it has to rain the day after I fix the bike :(.

When I let go of the bars it drives straight. Turning right has more of a sliding feeling than turning left but it going left still gives it just not as bad.

I wish i could describe the feeling more. I had a friend take the bike for a ride but he didn't feel it so I really have no idea.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish i could describe the feeling more. I had a friend take the bike for a ride but he didn't feel it so I really have no idea.
How bad did your accident rattle you? Its human nature to imagine problems that aren't really there after an incident, I've felt it myself a time or two.

A couple months ago I got my annual Safety inspection done on my Saab, and they failed me because my tires were dry-rotted (since losing the GF and getting the bike, the Saab doesn't see too much use anymore). The tires were 7 years old, and my trusted Goodyear tech told me even at five years tires lose most of their resiliency/grip. Your FZ's tires are five now, and grip is so much more important on a bike!
Even if it ends up being some other problem, I highly recommend spooning on some new rubber!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend spooning on some new rubber!

Big +1 here! It does worry me that you mentioned you only started feeling this after you've crashed the bike. Still.. your tires are definitely well over their prime at this point. I would check rear swingarm and rear wheel for play too.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How bad did your accident rattle you? Its human nature to imagine problems that aren't really there after an incident, I've felt it myself a time or two.

A couple months ago I got my annual Safety inspection done on my Saab, and they failed me because my tires were dry-rotted (since losing the GF and getting the bike, the Saab doesn't see too much use anymore). The tires were 7 years old, and my trusted Goodyear tech told me even at five years tires lose most of their resiliency/grip. Your FZ's tires are five now, and grip is so much more important on a bike!
Even if it ends up being some other problem, I highly recommend spooning on some new rubber!

If your making a turn do you ever imagine or let the idea cross your mind that you might slip or fall, I would say if this is true you have a bit of a demon that's something you have to over come and maybe a new set of tires is the object that will over come that I have the same feeling making lefts since I low sided, think its something to look into

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few turns on my way home from work where it feels like I'm losing traction. These are 1/4 mile or into the commute so the tires are cold. Mostly rear, but sometimes front as well. It's really awkward... I feel zero vibration, hear nothing. The best way I can describe it is where the road elevation drops a bit as you're taking a turn... the bike just moves away from you and that butterfly in your stomach says hello.

I'm still not sure if this is actual sliding on cold tires, body position, other input, unseen road condition or changes, mental, etc.

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I think new tires are in my near future. The crash was not too bad i was going home from a buddies house took a turn and went to avoid something and went over a curb at 30mph and was thrown off and landed on my head. I laid there and laughed at how much that sucked, but i could just be scared.

After the "crash" I do THINK about the slipping and falling part when making a turn which is why I do not know if its mental or physical.

I appreciate your guys' answers I will check out the rear tire/swingarm and stuff.

Any recommendations on tires?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i feel just about the same way as you id say check that thread that just died maybe 2 days ago huge debate over which tires to get for the commute/weekend rider i think pr2 battleaxe and another with an M were the top 3 but that thread had great info if your trying to choose for yourself.:rockon:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, it took me a couple years to realize how much those "tar snakes" on the road can upset the bike in a turn, especially in the hot weather most of us are dealing with now.

Drat that flat black crack crap! :D

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Six months ago, I replaced the rear tire I put on in '07, and before I did I was experiencing almost exactly what you describe. It's a five year old tire, and I think most of the stick is just gone. I got BT-023s and I'm real pleased. But all I've ever had on my FZ is Bridgestone BT-020 and these 023s, so I'm not familiar with too many tires.

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys very much, Love the responses you get here when asking for help. When I go back to work I will pick some nice new tires up. (Being laid off is quite possibly the biggest bummer ever)

Thanks to you all!

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the rear slide under hard cornering, especially under power. i have talked to a couple suspension guys and the general conciseness is my weight is to much for the stock suspension (~300# geared up and i should replace the springs

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

I see Utah has inspection rules (tires page 15-19) outlined on the net:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf

Here in CA, we don't even have vehicle inspections!

bdub24

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm out riding now and I'm trying to see if it pulls to one side or not. If I let go of tr bars at 20-30 it goes left or right. The rear tire feels like its pulling more to the left than staying in the middle. Idk if that gives any clues to you guys about anything but that's what I'm feeling right now.