slider pin stuck!!

freddyboy2404

Reaction score
Visit site
ello chaps n chappettes,, after replacing my rear disc on my fz6 ('04), I went to move onto replacing the pads, and hit the problem,, I can not make the bloody slider pin un screw ALL tips welcome and sooner the better,, the bikes stuck outside the garage, and the mrs has to get up at 3 am to drop me to work, so im not mr popular at the mo lol:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ello chaps n chappettes,, after replacing my rear disc on my fz6 ('04), I went to move onto replacing the pads, and hit the problem,, I can not make the bloody slider pin un screw ALL tips welcome and sooner the better,, the bikes stuck outside the garage, and the mrs has to get up at 3 am to drop me to work, so im not mr popular at the mo lol:thumbup:
There are two parts to removing the slider, it has an outer looking screw and then the inner part is the pin. Not sure by your post if you have got thus far?

Neil

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first thought I have with this is a penetrating oil and shock the bolt/pin with a blow. You may have to wait an hour before this helps but the other idea is heat. Warm the area of the thread. This of course has risks because you can damage seals etc. But even a smaller amount of heat can work wonders. Don't heat the pin itself. Again shocking it with a blow and it may be all you need to loosen it.

Last edited:

freddyboy2404

Reaction score
Visit site
There are two parts to removing the slider, it has an outer looking screw and then the inner part is the pin. Not sure by your post if you have got thus far?

Neil

neil,, nope,, the brass looking screw it the part that's stuck,, I did see on you tube someone posting about a fz6r,,(09) and showed the 2 part system,, realy don't want to have to resort to drillingit out!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
neil,, nope,, the brass looking screw it the part that's stuck,, I did see on you tube someone posting about a fz6r,,(09) and showed the 2 part system,, realy don't want to have to resort to drillingit out!!
Mine was also stuck hard I used WD-40 and impact driver to release it. Good luck.

Nelly

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
use an impact driver or a strong steady hand to unscrew the outer retaining bolt, then the inside should undo with an allen key.

I always make sure these are covered in copper grease now when I reassemble it to prevent it corroding in place.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
use an impact driver or a strong steady hand to unscrew the outer retaining bolt, then the inside should undo with an allen key.

I always make sure these are covered in copper grease now when I reassemble it to prevent it corroding in place.
I used a blob of that red grease you sent me.

Nelly

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this same issue last time I replaced the rear brake pads. I ended up grabbing a flathead screwdriver with a pair of vise grips. Have the caliper installed onto the swingarm so you can put some force into it. Then just use one hand to push the screwdriver down and the other on the vise grip to unscrew it. Should come out easily this way.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a blob of that red grease you sent me.

Nelly

dunno how effective that would be, but copper grease prevents two different metals from seizing together (steel and aluminium in this case)

I use it on my header bolts too

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated above, use a hand held impact tool before you booger up the head.

That plate is fairly thin and shouldn't take much effort to spin out.

Should the flats get boogered up and useless, I'd drill the center and use an "Easy out" to spin it out.

Once you get to re-assembling, anti seize or brake specific grease (the slider pins should be lubed with brake specific grease once the caliper is off NOW anyway) can be applied and should prevent later issues..

Good luck and please post your results.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything comes apart except item #13?? Very light tapping around the boss of the threads will usually release the bond of corrosion holding them together.

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html

Per His post, #4, it sounds like the outer cover (part #14 from your post, is my impression) isn't coming off, NOT the slider pin itself..

"neil,, nope,, the brass looking screw it the part that's stuck,, I did see on you tube someone posting about a fz6r,,(09) and showed the 2 part system,, realy don't want to have to resort to drillingit out!!"

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Per His post, #4, it sounds like the outer cover (part #14 from your post, is my impression) isn't coming off, NOT the slider pin itself..

"neil,, nope,, the brass looking screw it the part that's stuck,, I did see on you tube someone posting about a fz6r,,(09) and showed the 2 part system,, realy don't want to have to resort to drillingit out!!"

^^ Hence the reason I posted this; clarification! :thumbup:
OP - can you confirm?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So far so good. Recently purchased copper grease.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4