Signal Suggestions?

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
My next mod I'm contemplating is changing out the stock signals with some smaller, sleeker aftermarket ones. I like the look of the Rizoma Avio 21 but can get a little pricey when replacing all 4 signals.

I'd love to get some suggestions from you guys. What signals do you like? How much work goes into the install? Is cutting and soldering required, or are there plug-and-play ones? That type of stuff. I assume I will need a flasher relay when converting to LED signals, but does one relay work for all 4 signals? I am not very electrically competent (went to school for chemical engineering...). Any input is greatly appreciated!

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
if you want sleeker you could get flush mount for the front and an integrated tailight. You could also do signal pod lights.
Whatever floats your boat;)

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I chose incandescents....I found some sleek looking ones at a local motorcycle shop for 7$ a piece. No flasher relays required. Positive to Positive, negative to negative. Easy, cheap, looks nice IMO.

YM-1916LED-W-1.JPG

I know you can't see them well here, but it's the best photo I have with them on.

View attachment 41059

Last edited:

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you should be seen when riding, so whatever you decide on, just make sure they are bright and can be seen during daylight. Cagers have enough problems seeing us with stock indicators.

Lots of great options, but I went with the Rizomas because they look cool and they were bright in the daylight. But only in the rear. Doing a different look for the front.

acniss

Reaction score
Visit site
I have intergrated rear LED tail you can see very well in day and night. I'm thinking of doing the pod front with smaller ones in the stock location.

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you should be seen when riding, so whatever you decide on, just make sure they are bright and can be seen during daylight. Cagers have enough problems seeing us with stock indicators.

Lots of great options, but I went with the Rizomas because they look cool and they were bright in the daylight. But only in the rear. Doing a different look for the front.

Did you need adapters to fit the signals into the space on the rear fender? I have the FAZR6 FE kit which still has the same shape for the signals. Are they plug-and-play? And I definitely agree about being seen - I've considered an integrated taillight but my worry is that it doesn't stand out enough so I thin, I'm going to go with new signals instead

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2_web1006856_3.jpg

I put these on my bike. I think they're brighter than OEM. Most LED replacements are not bright enough. The Rizoma are! Same with most of the integrated tail lights I've seen. The brake to running light ratio is poor and the light itself is no where near OEM brightness. Maybe there are better units out there but bring your big wallet. The other thing to consider with the integrated tail light is besides not being bright enough, as a turn signal, people are not looking at your tail light. Yeah, I know....It's a really cool idea but it has to be a bright idea as well!
California law says your turn signals need a minimum of 9 inches apart. There is a concept behind this. <------------> Cagers might notice a turn signal that is placed wide enough apart but they sure aren't expect that cool, dull, non descript directional signal from your tail light. So if you do the integrated tail lamp and you are concerned that cagers know your intent to turn, keep a set of cool LEDs to add to the integrated tail light.

On your front LED replacement... Although many people disregard the running light function of the front signals they are required. The front stalks on the US bike has a dual filament incandescent lamp. One filament is a running light and the other is the directional signal. When you install LEDs they usually don't provide for the running light. There are solutions that some LED kits contain but they are the pricey units. One solution is to have your front LEDs constantly lit and when you put your directional signal on the LED blinks and is a turn indicator.

Check these out: Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

Lastly, It never surprises me how many times this question pops up. Why don't my new LEDs flash? Assuming you've wired them correctly the load of the LEDs are much less than the incandescent OEM lamps. The OEM flasher can not compensate for the different load and fails to flash or will flash at a much faster rate. The parallel resistor load solution is not very efficient. You need to consider heat from the resistors, where they will physically live in safety and also remain insulated. A bulky inefficient solution. Keep in mind I am not talking about series resistors that some LED kits may use. Those are used for voltage drop, so follow the manufacturers instructions on the series resistors.

You can resolve your flasher problem by replacing it with an electronic type. Here is a very economical one I've found...Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

Get the LF1-S-FLAT

Hope this answers most of the questions that come up on the LEDs..:D

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think running lights are required on the front. Most bikes I have seen (and owned-my ZX6R) don't have running lights in the front. In Michigan at least you don't even need signals as long as you use hand signals. Maybe it's different out in California though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CBallman

Reaction score
Visit site
Id have to say a +1 for the flush mounts up front, as far as rears I went with an Integrated sequential tail light. Slicker than snot to put in and I get compliments on it all the time. switching your relay over to LED is the simplest thing to do, plus you don't have to worry about the quick flash and your setup for whatever other LED's you want. Good luck shopping!

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I don;t have any pictures, but I went with the the2wheels 14x LED turn signals. The bike had LEDs on it when I bought it, but they were not bright enough for me. These are at least twice as bright as the one I took off, and I would guess at least as bright as the stockers were (in looking at other bikes). I have a vid at home comparing the difference (did one side at a time), I'll try to post it tonight.

They were pretty cheap at $26.00 compared to other options, but I figured I'd give them a try before going to a more expensive set - glad I did!!

Here's a link...

Motorcycle 14x LED Turn Signals Indicators Short x 4 | eBay

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
2_web1006856_3.jpg

I put these on my bike. I think they're brighter than OEM. Most LED replacements are not bright enough. The Rizoma are! Same with most of the integrated tail lights I've seen. The brake to running light ratio is poor and the light itself is no where near OEM brightness. Maybe there are better units out there but bring your big wallet. The other thing to consider with the integrated tail light is besides not being bright enough, as a turn signal, people are not looking at your tail light. Yeah, I know....It's a really cool idea but it has to be a bright idea as well!
California law says your turn signals need a minimum of 9 inches apart. There is a concept behind this. <------------> Cagers might notice a turn signal that is placed wide enough apart but they sure aren't expect that cool, dull, non descript directional signal from your tail light. So if you do the integrated tail lamp and you are concerned that cagers know your intent to turn, keep a set of cool LEDs to add to the integrated tail light.

Are those from The2wheels? I was considering signals from them as well because I really like the looks and especially the price. How did you mount them on the fender? I've seen that some people have problems because of the shape of the stock fender cutout for the signals, so they picked up either some adapter plates or used a series of large washers. And I completely agree with you about the integrated tail light - I think that's the main reason why I've ruled it out. I love the idea and the look, but I want to be seen while riding. Thanks for all the advice - I just ordered the flasher relay and will make a decision about the rear signals soon - the front ones will probably wait a little while. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are those from The2wheels? I was considering signals from them as well because I really like the looks and especially the price. How did you mount them on the fender? I've seen that some people have problems because of the shape of the stock fender cutout for the signals, so they picked up either some adapter plates or used a series of large washers. And I completely agree with you about the integrated tail light - I think that's the main reason why I've ruled it out. I love the idea and the look, but I want to be seen while riding. Thanks for all the advice - I just ordered the flasher relay and will make a decision about the rear signals soon - the front ones will probably wait a little while. :thumbup:

I got those at Cycle Gear. You might have a store close to you. They really are nice and bright :Flash:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have dark tinted flushmounts front and rear that use bulbs. They are very visible. Quite permanent though. There are loads of details and pics etc in my site link in my sig.

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got everything in the mail along with the time to install. Decided to get LED's from The2wheels to put on the rear along with a wire harness off of ebay so that I didn't have to cut up the stock signals. Wasn't bad to install and even taught myself how to solder (thanks to YouTube :thumbup: ). Also picked up some adapter plates from PJ's Parts (Turn Signal Fairing Mounting Adapters, PJ's Parts) to mount on the FAZR6 FE kit. Definitely like the look a lot better than the miniature UFO's that are the stock signals IMO. Now to figure out what route I'm going to take for the front signals...

View attachment 41412

View attachment 41413

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They look really nice zackeeboy... *attempts to make out your rego based upon the reflection in the exhausts* :spank:

haha :thumbup:

I recently ordered some Rizomas to go on the rear... they should be arriving soon :D

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
They look really nice zackeeboy... *attempts to make out your rego based upon the reflection in the exhausts* :spank:

haha :thumbup:

I recently ordered some Rizomas to go on the rear... they should be arriving soon :D

Haha, yeah I saw the reflection but at that point didn't care anymore. I really considered Rizoma's first, but didn't know how much I wanted to shell out the $$$ for them before knowing how much I would like them. Now that I have the wire harness in there, it will be a lot easier for plug-and-play if I want to upgrade at a later date. Make sure to post pics so we can see.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got everything in the mail along with the time to install. Decided to get LED's from The2wheels to put on the rear along with a wire harness off of ebay so that I didn't have to cut up the stock signals. Wasn't bad to install and even taught myself how to solder (thanks to YouTube :thumbup: ). Also picked up some adapter plates from PJ's Parts (Turn Signal Fairing Mounting Adapters, PJ's Parts) to mount on the FAZR6 FE kit. Definitely like the look a lot better than the miniature UFO's that are the stock signals IMO. Now to figure out what route I'm going to take for the front signals...

View attachment 41412

View attachment 41413

Those look great and I know they're plenty bright compared to a lot of the ones I've seen.

Learning new skills is always a great thing! :D

F

FZ6 Naked!

My next mod I'm contemplating is changing out the stock signals with some smaller, sleeker aftermarket ones. I like the look of the Rizoma Avio 21 but can get a little pricey when replacing all 4 signals.

I'd love to get some suggestions from you guys. What signals do you like? How much work goes into the install? Is cutting and soldering required, or are there plug-and-play ones? That type of stuff. I assume I will need a flasher relay when converting to LED signals, but does one relay work for all 4 signals? I am not very electrically competent (went to school for chemical engineering...). Any input is greatly appreciated!

I saw one of these on a bike a long time ago and was amazed with the awesomeness! I would have them on my bike right now except the 3 flashes when you hit the brakes isn't legal in the UK. I can't help much with the actual install, but they are bright and extremely attractive (plus safe due to the quick flashes whenever you apply the brake). Plus, you don't have to have signals poking out of the sides.

2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light Motodynamic.com

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw one of these on a bike a long time ago and was amazed with the awesomeness! I would have them on my bike right now except the 3 flashes when you hit the brakes isn't legal in the UK. I can't help much with the actual install, but they are bright and extremely attractive (plus safe due to the quick flashes whenever you apply the brake). Plus, you don't have to have signals poking out of the sides.

2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Sequential LED Tail Light Motodynamic.com

I've actually been looking at this exact tail light for a while, but decided to go a different route for now. I just wasn't sure how much the signals would stand out - I want to make sure I'm seen haha, so I kept with the separate signals for now.