Should I use this helmet

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the bike in for inspection 3 days ago and while I was waiting I was talking to some dude with a V star, I leaned against my handlebars where the helmet was resting and wham!! fell straight onto the pavement landing squarely on the top. Just 3 to 4 chip marks.

But then I immediately began to worry if the helmet was safe to ride with.

After getting home I sent Scorpion an email asking if the helmet was still good. I was hoping they would let me send it in for inspection but instead here is their response.. surprising.

"Thank you for contacting Kido Sports USA regarding your Scorpion EXO400 helmet. As long as the EPS foam is not compressed (something inside of the helmet) when it dropped it will be fine for one or two drops. After the second drop, you should consider a new helmet. We only offer visual inspections of the helmet; this facility does not have an X-ray to check for fractures in the shell and EPS.

If you have any questions feel free to call us at (888) 212-0688."

I got this helmet for a song on closeout last year, so I have already ordered a replacement. But what do you guys think? Use the helmet? Do you trust what this guy is saying?

Protaper48

Reaction score
Visit site
I look at this way....To replace a helmet is quite easy and cheap compare to replacing your head. I personally would put the smacked helmet in to my trophy cabinet. The guy might be right but unfortunately there is only one way to find out if he is really right.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been concerned about mine as well scorpion exo-400. I did almost exactly the same thing but i tried to catch mine with my foot, so it hit my foot and then the ground so I assume it is ok:confused:. I also contacted scorpion about it and got almost exactly the same response you did. I have decided I will replace, but I have not decided on what one I want. In the end its your head your protecting I personally would try to avoid using it if it has been dropped but here I am riding with a helmet I dropped:spank:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny how similar this is. I also dropped my first helmet, which was an EXO 400, from waist high and I rode with it for a while after that. This is how I see it, if you get into a crash with a 100% fresh helmet, you'll use the protection potential of the helmet to 100%. If you crash with a dropped helmet, which lets say compromised 20% of the foam on the side that hit the ground, it will provide 80% protection potential. It is impossible to tell how much of the foam you compromised or if that 20% difference could make the difference between a head injury and no injury. But in the end, helmet is designed to absorb shock and every new shock makes it a little less absorbent. You need to gauge how fresh your helmet is depending on the impact(s) it suffered and decide if you are cool with that amount. I personally consider a helmet majorly compromised if I drop it once the way you described it. Especially in the ($100-150) range, I would just invest in another one.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get another one. It's only money, and we are talking about your biggest asset - head/brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can do a crack check on the helmet, if you're careful..
Most welding shops would have the stuff.. It's a cleaner, a penetrant dye, and a developer..

I'd actually skip the cleaner and use rubbing alcohol, just in case the cleaner would screw up the finish on your helmet..

Anyway, the cleaner removes all grease (again so would rubbing alcohol), and then a quick blast of the penetrant dye (it's red) and let that sit for a few seconds and then wipe off with a clean rag.. Wait a couple more seconds and then spray with the developer, which is a white, dull spray. If there's a crack, the red penetrant dye will get into the crack and the red will show up in the white developer within seconds..

If you don't see any red lines (cracks) wipe the developer off with rubbing alcohol..

If you don't see any cracks, it's not cracked.. I know I'd continue to use the helmet, but that's me..

As Scorpion said, it's the crushed foam that's the serious culprit of helmet failure. If the shell's not compromised, it's your call..

Most weld shops would charge about $10-20 for doing this, and it'll take only a few minutes.. If you know someone who works at a shop, ask them about it.. I've always used Magnaflux Dye Check products. The penetrant and developer would run $20 for the two cans, but if you have a weld shop, they're only going to use a quick blast of each..

Again, skip the cleaner as it might affect the shell all by itself, but rubbing alcohol would be safe.

If you lived near me, I could check it in a couple minutes for free. :)

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be more concerned if it landed on a part other than the top. In the event that you take a significant impact force to the top of your skull, the helmet isn't going to help you much. Your neck will snap.:( The back, sides, and front of the helmet are more likely to protect you. They're more likely to make contact as well, since your head normally hits the ground as it's whipping, if you know what I mean.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the tech's reply, as long as your head was not inside the helmet, and the absorbtion liner was not compressed, your helmet should be fine. A drop without your head inside results in a tiny pin drop size compression to your helmet.

The lesson learned?

Don't store your helmet where it is subject to a fall. Putting your helmet on top of your seat, or hanging it from your handle bars or mirrors is not the best place unless you don't mind having it fall off.

I hang my helmet off my bike too, but I use the passenger footpegs as a place to hang my helmet. If it falls, which it never has, so far, Knock Knock, it's only a foot or two off the ground.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Good repsonses guys!! Yeah I did not hesitate...I went and ordered the EXO-700 in predator blue.. A sweet looking lid. It is the one I should have bought in the first place

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
I may get flamed for this one but, i wouldnt even have thought twice about it. Ive dropped many helmets a threw them right back on my skull without any thought about it being compromised.....i raced motocross for many years and crashed in helmets then rode the next moto in them....i was always told helmets were good for one hard hit to the head during a crash...its the foam inside the helmet that is the biggest protection and if ur head wasn't in it to compress the foam i doubt there was any damage. just my opinion but yeah the helmet is most likely fine and id wear it

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I may get flamed for this one but, i wouldnt even have thought twice about it. Ive dropped many helmets a threw them right back on my skull without any thought about it being compromised.....i raced motocross for many years and crashed in helmets then rode the next moto in them....i was always told helmets were good for one hard hit to the head during a crash...its the foam inside the helmet that is the biggest protection and if ur head wasn't in it to compress the foam i doubt there was any damage. just my opinion but yeah the helmet is most likely fine and id wear it

Ditto: (flame too)
The helmet alone has no mass and drop from five feet will do nothing to the foam inside. It may as the company pointed out, induce some mild stress fractures or fishers. . . Would these compromise your safety? Well i suppose it could so on that error on the safe side. But the Foam would be fine. And I doubt helmet carried enough mass to cause damage beyond a 1/2mil into the surface. Only the manf knows how much they can take though and I suspect each compound is different. As said, taking one square on the top of the head is going to have other consequences and I don't the shell will fail from such mild impacts as you dropping it on a flat surface. . . >>

Check this out: some do fail DOT!
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2008s218.pdf

I am not vouching for the accuracy of these - just sharing. . .
((PASTE))

DOT Approved Helmets

In 1972 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that they were going to develop a standard for motorcycle helmets. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218, commonly referred to as the DOT standard, was written using information and methodology that was developed several years earlier. The initial draft was supposed to be revised before its release in 1974, but the changes were never made. Although the DOT standard could use some alterations, it still provides for a safer helmet then one that has not been DOT approved.

There are two key differences between a DOT- and Snell-approved helmet. First, is the testing standards the helmets go through, and second, is the verification of the results.

It's easy to get lost in the scientific jargon when trying to sift through the testing process of both standards. Simplified, DOT and Snell assess each helmet by placing it on a head form that is equipped with sensors. The helmeted head form is then dropped from a specific height onto a steel anvil, and the severity of the impact is recorded.

DOT and Snell test each helmet two times at four different impact zones. DOT drops their helmets from a 6-foot height on the flat anvil and from a 4.5-foot height on the hemispherical anvil. Snell on the other hand, drops the helmets from a 10-foot and 7.5-foot height on both anvils, which simulates a more severe impact.

DOT certification, however, is less regulated. The manufacturer performs their own tests and determines whether their helmets are DOT approved. Even though the manufacturer doesn't have to report their findings, the government does occasionally conduct limited tests or spot checks. Nevertheless, allowing each company to test their own equipment and not make them report their results means that the DOT certification is done by the honor system.

The DOT standards are important because they outline the minimum requirements all motorcycle helmets must meet, which has already saved countless lives. But if you want to make sure your helmet has been tested impartially, then buying a helmet with the Snell sticker on it is a dependable alternative.

((END PASTE))

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know what the four requirement are or what you need to look for it to become DOT approved?

Anyone can get a helmet and place a DOT sticker on the back of any helmet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a little off subject but it is related.
I crash tested a Shoei RF-1100 helmet. When I impacted, the internals in the helmet burned my skin in 3 spots. The helmet could only have only moved 4-5 mm but just that split second impact gave me a new respect for the science and design of helmets.

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
Arai Helmets - Video - Jay Leno's Garage

your helmet is fine. dropping with nothing in it should not hurt it. check out the shell for cracks. if you cant see any then dont worry about it.

scorpian helmets are fairly cheap chinese helmets. most have a plastic shell that does not absorb impacts. i would look into getting a better helmet. doesnt have to be more money. there are lots of good deals out there. i like shark helmets. made in europe(france) and can be found for a really good price.