Short People....

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07' fz6 came with the comfort seat, it's still too tall, I'm 5'9" w/ 29" inseam(don't laugh),any ways problem solved, I'm selling the fz6 to a coworker in the spring.The new bike will be a Buell Firebolt XB12R,sorry guys but the more I ride the fz6 the less I like it:(

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'7\\" and 29\\" inseam, see the problem? So I loosened the fork clamps and slid the forks up 30MM. Going for a ride, will let you know on Monday how it works out, GRUMPY

How funny cause I'm 5'7", 30" inseam, can't quite flatfoot either & yesterday when I did my first oil/filter change (yes - I believe in replacing filter every time!) I lowered my forks 3/8"! What timing!
In boots w/any kind of heel or thicker sole I can flatfoot tho'! The problem arises when I go to the gym I do wear mesh Joe Rocket, long workout pants over shorts, but only sneakers & my heels are up ~1/4" in them.
The raising up a mere 3/8" really only produced a barely negligible difference.

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
I am just 5'5" and my last bike was a VTX1800. I lowered it and liked it lowered because of the weight (734 lbs )but with the fazzer I personally like the height and when I stop at a light i just always put my left foot down. I feel like the height is needed a lot more for the corners so I havnt done anything. But, I was worried when I first bought the bike and thought about lowering it too.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only 5'6", 28" inseam and I don't have too much trouble. Plan parking out ahead of time and bounce the forks off the front brakes for reverse:thumbup:.I Don't usually park on the ridge between the tire ruts at lights but I can if I have to. And if all else fails, you can lean the bike one way and flat foot it:D. The one place where it really sucks is reversing out of the driveway between two cars and going through the gutter with the front on the driveway and the rear on the road and about 6 inches between my feet and the ground:eek:. This is a truly horrid sensation that I don't care to repeat.:( LOL.
Cheers
Mike

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'7\" and 29\" inseam, see the problem? So I loosened the fork clamps and slid the forks up 30MM. Going for a ride, will let you know on Monday how it works out, GRUMPY

I took the bike out this weekend.(200+ miles) It seems to handle OK with front lowered, got up to 90MPH with no problems. However, I'm going to raise it up 10MM to cut down on the chance of it becoming a tank slapper. I rode a Suzuki 380 back in day that this happened to me on. Not pleasant at all! I figure that raising a little can't hurt and if my feet stay flat on the ground still, I'll be fine. I would like ANY comments from veteran Fz riders that may have seen any problems in this line, THX. GRUMPY:thumbup:

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that by lowering the front end without lowering the back that it would cause the front to dip more when braking hard. More weight transfer to the front end. Someone tell me if I am wrong. i just know that without any changes the bike tends to go down in the front when having to brake hard.

B

bluenova

I'm a short-arse too. I don't really have an issue with stopping, I'm quite happy with my left foot fully on the ground as my right is covering the brake and tip-toeing on the right when stopped completely.

My main issue is reversing, I'm very careful how I park and normally get off the bike and push it backwards if I'm not on a slope where gravity will move it backwards for me.

ozzieboy said:
bounce the forks off the front brakes for reverse

ozzieboy, what do you mean by this, can you elaborate?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ozzieboy, what do you mean by this, can you elaborate?

No probs mate:thumbup:. While still moving forward just a little I hit the front brake and push the forks down as much as I can. Then when they start to rebound let the front brake go and push back and the bike is already moving backwards. The hardest part to reversing is actually getting moving whereas this instantly puts you at a reasonable pace which is easy to maintain because of momentum:thumbup:. Only have to be moving a tiny bit forward for it to work, especially if you load up the forks enough. Hope this is clear enough. I've got to get a youtube account sorted out so i can do videos:rockon:.
Cheers
Mike

I

inkrediboy

No probs mate:thumbup:. While still moving forward just a little I hit the front brake and push the forks down as much as I can. Then when they start to rebound let the front brake go and push back and the bike is already moving backwards. The hardest part to reversing is actually getting moving whereas this instantly puts you at a reasonable pace which is easy to maintain because of momentum:thumbup:. Only have to be moving a tiny bit forward for it to work, especially if you load up the forks enough. Hope this is clear enough. I've got to get a youtube account sorted out so i can do videos:rockon:.
Cheers
Mike

I'm with you guys on the reversing on the toes. I hate that!!! I"m going to have to try the brake trick, didn't even think of trying it that way. Right now - I don't pay too much attention to parking - just figure if I have to backup on an incline - I"ll just walk it back - I have no shame to that game...

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you guys on the reversing on the toes. I hate that!!! I\"m going to have to try the brake trick, didn't even think of trying it that way. Right now - I don't pay too much attention to parking - just figure if I have to backup on an incline - I\"ll just walk it back - I have no shame to that game...

LOL...I'd do that too but with my bag on the back I have trouble getting my leg over sometimes so I have to put the stand down and step over using the footpeg. Too hard basket for me...lol. I can even reverse slightly up hill using this technique:thumbup:. And if the bike stops 'cause the hill is too steep, you can just repeat it and move back a bit more.:cheer::D
Gotta do what you gotta do...lol.:rockon:
Cheers
Mike

I

inkrediboy

LOL...I'd do that too but with my bag on the back I have trouble getting my leg over sometimes so I have to put the stand down and step over using the footpeg. Too hard basket for me...lol. I can even reverse slightly up hill using this technique:thumbup:. And if the bike stops 'cause the hill is too steep, you can just repeat it and move back a bit more.:cheer::D
Gotta do what you gotta do...lol.:rockon:
Cheers
Mike

Riding with Poorwboy yesterday on the R1 - I ended up driving up the wrong driveway to his house. It inclined downwards toward the house which is usually not the case.. There I was, with my 5-7 frame (yes Jstein its 5-7!!! :)), and i was in that stuck position. Oh crap - I can't back up ha..... I was like dammit. Facing the guys garage door, Shawn is looking at me from his porch, I started tip toeing backwards and was getting nowhere fast :), just couln't get the grip and leverage I needed. I flipped a bitch (a u-turn) super tight, went offroading across the lawn dividers and ended up on Shawn's driveway facing the rightway up hill. It definitely becomes an aggravation for sure.

LIke you said, we do what we gotta do OZ. Tall people suck :)!!!!!!