Shad 50 Top Case and Rack Installation

Guido44

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I am going to be installing a Shad 50 case onto my Tmax 500 soon. I bought some LED lights for the tail reflectors. I was wondering if you all had any tips on how to do it.

I am attaching a plug to the end of the wire connections so I can remove the case if I need to. I thought I would simply cover the wires with some split wire tubing. Zip tie it inside the case and drill a hole out the bottom. I don't have the rack yet, so I can't locate the hole till then.

I need the most help with the actual wiring. I can do wiring for a house, but I've never worked on vehicle wiring. I'd like to have the LEDs as running lights and get brighter as I apply the brakes.

Is that do-able? There are to strands of lights here, there will be 4 for BOTH sides.
Here's a photo:
908842156_VccEB-L-1.jpg

908844197_n4Reh-L.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
... I'd like to have the LEDs as running lights and get brighter as I apply the brakes.

Is that do-able? There are to strands of lights here, there will be 4 for BOTH sides.

Should be quite doable. Attached are diagrams showing a couple of possibilities. One uses an LM 7809 voltage regulator chip to give a 9 Volt output for the running-light brightness, the other just drops the voltage through a series of diodes. You can also use resistors to drop voltage, but that seems inelegant to me. The “EB” connectors on the diagrams are connectors available from a place called Eastern Beaver which exactly match the factory connector on the bike as detailed in this post.

Edit - The LM7809 does not seem to be available at your local radio shack. They should have the LM317T which is an adjustable regulator where the output voltage is set by a couple of external resistors. This would allow you to experiment to get the running light brightness just right.

Last edited:

Guido44

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Thanks!

That should do the trick. I check a radio shack on the way from work today. I'll also try to check my T max to see what the plug(s) looks like.

Will I need to have shrink tubing to cover the regulator? Like I said, I've never wired a vehicle before so I gotta ask.

Dan

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Thanks!

That should do the trick. I check a radio shack on the way from work today. I'll also try to check my T max to see what the plug(s) looks like.

Will I need to have shrink tubing to cover the regulator? Like I said, I've never wired a vehicle before so I gotta ask.

Dan

You are quite welcome.

You will definitely need to electrically insulate/isolate the input, output and ground connections to the regulator. How best to do that may depend on how warm the regulator gets in operation, as it will generate some heat. This should be a low-current application, so I doubt that it will get very warm, but I don't know for sure. If it stays cool enough, you might just put heat shrink over all connections, then a bigger heat shrink over everything. I think you are going to need a couple of capacitors in addition to the resistors, so it might be best to put it all inside of one of those small project boxes that radio shack sells.

Below is a typical schematic for the device. The resistor values shown will give an output voltage of about 9 Volts.

Last edited:

Guido44

Reaction score
Visit site
Will that wiring diagram give me this type of functionality? It would be nice to add another light strip to give me more light. Just for kicks I attached a 9 volt battery to see how bright they were. It's pretty dim. Another strip might boost the appearance ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8DONs8aEOM]YouTube - LED brake, running, & turn signal kit for Givi E52 topcase[/ame]

Thanks for your replies.

Dan

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Will that wiring diagram give me this type of functionality?

No, getting the lights to function as turn signals will require more complicated circuitry. Someone here built a custom control module that would do that plus strobe the brake lights. If I get a chance I'll try to find it then post a link here.

It would be nice to add another light strip to give me more light. Just for kicks I attached a 9 volt battery to see how bright they were. It's pretty dim. Another strip might boost the appearance ?

The 9 Volts is to provide a dimmer light level for the running light function. Full brightness requires 12 Volts for LEDs that are intended for motorcycles and cars.

djsonicdh

Reaction score
Visit site
question:

i would buy the ABA-0SS56-22-16 mounting kit to install in my FZ6 2006 (S1), i will need any more to install?? or only buy the top case and the ABA-0SS56-22-16 kit

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ABA-0SS56-22-16-SHAD-Case-Mounting/dp/B0091HDXAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388063493&sr=8-2&keywords=top+case+mounting+yamaha+fz6]Amazon.com: Yamaha ABA-0SS56-22-16 SHAD Top Case Mounting Kit for Yamaha FZ6: Automotive[/ame]

greetings :)