Servicing my step-sons FZ6...couple of questions

Bigdaddykronk

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, first time poster. going to service my step-son 08 FZ6 and have a couple of questions

1. Im doing this to help him save some cash by not going to the dealer and paying premium price. What oils will work the best for this bike.

2. What do you recommend to lube the chain?

I ride a 1500 Goldwing so am familiar with bikes

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Good stuff, DIY is more rewarding anyway. Any semi-synthetic will be good, I recommend Motul 5100. I also recommend K&N oil filters because they have a nut at the end making installation and removal much easier.

2. I recommend chain lube :) - I use PJ1 Blue, I also like Motorex 622 road chain lube (it's nice and thick). Best to apply the lube after a ride when the chain is still warm.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the Motul 5100.

As for chain lube - Silkolene - will edit post when I can remember which one... sorry... but you need to lube the chain when warm. Do it at least once a week. I

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
after reading here, and discovering I was using an inadequate oil (thanks erci)
I've switched to Shell Rotella T6, 5W40 full synthetic that's JSO-MA certified
(wet clutch compatible) and also fairly affordable for a full synth, like mentioned,
a K&N filter, PJ chainlube, after a good WD40 cleaning and a warmup, let it sit
overnight to solidify and it don't sling off and make a mess

Last edited:

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
For the chain lube I recommend Bel-Ray Super Clean. This is what I use on my dirtbikes and its super tacky and resists flinging off like the lighter duty chain lubes. It comes out white so it looks kinda cool too.
Bel-Ray_Chain_Lube_detail.jpg

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain Lube: Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose Dry Lube, can be purchased at Lowe's for $5

For oil, Mobil1 Racing 4T 10W-40 motorcycle oil (JASO-MA) can be purchased at Advance Auto for $7.99/qt, I believe. I like it because it's readily available, and in a test performed by Amsoil, it was rated #2 next to Amsoil for the "Top 2" motorcycle oils.

Just my .02

Also, when is the last time you changed the coolant in the bike?

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, first time poster. going to service my step-son 08 FZ6 and have a couple of questions

1. Im doing this to help him save some cash by not going to the dealer and paying premium price. What oils will work the best for this bike.

2. What do you recommend to lube the chain?

I ride a 1500 Goldwing so am familiar with bikes

I have an 08 FZ6 as well and it has 16,400+ miles. Here is what I use.

If he's beyond the breakin period, then go with a synthetic oil. I used Rotella T with no problems. I recently switched to Motul 7100. Either is good. I will continue to use the Motul until I decide to try REPSOL. The Rotella (in the blue container) is a lot cheaper, either will do the job.

As for the oil filter, I use Purolator PL14610. Just don't tighten it too tight and you will not have a problem taking it off during the next oil change. Most torque it too tight and then wonder why it's h3ll getting it off.

As for the chain lube, I use BelRay Chain Lube. No problems so far.