Sena 10R ?

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey does anyone have/use one of these units, thinking about buying one.

Don't like using my earbuds any more and the online reviews look pretty good but looking for real world usage.

Thanks

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
The Hubby & I have Sena units (I can't remember what model. been too long since I've used it - see my Winter Rant lol). We had the Scala Rider brand before, but they failed after about 2-3 years. We got the Sena's at the end of the season last year. I like the easy of use. Spin the dial to increase/decrease volume & to jump forward or repeat songs. Push bottom to use phone (make calls, talk with Siri or Google). Speakers were probably slightly better on the Scala Riders but we had more glitches with the Scala Rider sets too. We can talk on the intercomm to each other about a mile away, a little less when we are in the mountains. I tried the earbud thing when we first started riding 2up (before I got my own license & bikes) and it never worked for me. Darn things would always pull out of my ears when I put my helmet on. Also, I couldn't change songs or volume. Anyway, Sena's are pricey, but in my opinion worth it.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at the smaller one, comes with a handlebar remote, supposed to have decent sound. I will give it a try I think, gotta be better than the ear buds.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at the smaller one, comes with a handlebar remote, supposed to have decent sound. I will give it a try I think, gotta be better than the ear buds.

have plenty of experience with the Sena 10 series.. good and bad though..

First off, My fiancée and I have a set of 10r (low profile style). They're pretty great. Tons of different things you can pair them with and so on and on. I have mine paired to my phone, then I can share the streamed music between the both of us and switch between that and talking with each other easily. However, I regret the decision to buy the "R" model.. I'd reather have the click wheel on the standard model!. The small keypad looks nice, but it can be a pain to use.. even with a medium weight glove. The 'programming' of how they keypad works and how you go from menu to menu and in an out of options can be confusing.. and even irritating.

The speakers are pretty good.. but with wind noise they can be a bit compromised at highways speed. (this is with HJC full face helmets) I actually wear ear plugs, and then turn the volume up more. This cuts out wind noise, but yet lets my music or communication with the paired person come through better.
All in all they're pretty great. and being able to communicate with my fiancée is awesome too (she on her separate bike - FZ6R).. "Hey wanna stop for Ice Cream?" "Sure!!" -- "Wow look at that ugly Harley over there" "LOL"... ya know.. important information.. Actually it really comes in handy for real world stuff, I can warn of upcoming spots of gravel, pot holes, or other obstacles that may arise, as well as great Wisconsin White-tails that are always wanting to be in the way.

I like them so much that I talked my mom and step-dad into buying a pair as well (they got the non- 'R' with the click wheel - way easier to use) HOWEVER, they wear BELL Mag-9 half helmets... Communication is about impossible at anything over 45mph. Terrible really

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I commend everything that Paragon said here. I'm very happy with my purchase of a two-pack set of the 10R. Got the two so I could talk with my wife when she rides pillion, but I use it ALL the time when I'm out solo.

Regarding the comment about the buttons and the menu, I rarely ever make any menu changes while out on the bike. The buttons are usable in moderately heavy gloves - though not easy. They work fine with my summer gloves.

I pair the Sena to my phone. Mostly I listen to music files on the phone or Pandora if I'm not out in the boonies. When on a longer route I run Co-Pilot for navigation and the directions come through the music just fine. I can take calls except at higher highway speeds. I used to be able to initiate calls. But now that Siri is not available when my screen is locked I can't do that. Still, that's not a fault of the Sena.

Chris

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the older SMH10 with the jog wheel and I'm very happy with it. You can get single units on ADV for under $100. I use it for listening to music everyday, communicating with my wife 2up, and communicating on group rides. I've considered upgrading to the 10C for the dash cam feature.
If you ride with anyone else, get whatever brand/model they use, so you can communicate with them.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Uclear 100 plus, been using it daily for two years now. When I say daily, I mean daily. My bike is my only ride. I use it so that I can listen to music. They have come out with a new handlebar remote. The best feature about the Uclear is that they have a built in microphone built into the speakers, so there is no additional wires or boom for the microphone. Just your helmet speakers and your control unit that is mounted onto the side of the helmet.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Uclear 100 plus, been using it daily for two years now. When I say daily, I mean daily. My bike is my only ride. I use it so that I can listen to music. They have come out with a new handlebar remote. The best feature about the Uclear is that they have a built in microphone built into the speakers, so there is no additional wires or boom for the microphone. Just your helmet speakers and your control unit that is mounted onto the side of the helmet.

My Sena has a sticker microphone instead of the boom like the Scala Riders. I did agree with everyone that the jog dial is very easy to use. I too wear ear plugs while riding and turn up the volume which means I have to turn it down when coming to a stop & talking with someone who isn't on my intercomm. Easy to do with the jog dial. Bluetooth works beautifully to my phone. I can do both music & GPS at the same time. I have taken calls before at 70+ easily. I did have to duck down infront of my windshield at that speed. I can talk with Siri too if my screen is unlocked (thanks for reminding me Shoop). Talked with my mom once while riding & she didn't know I was riding. I didn't tell her until later. She would have freaked out. She still isn't happy about me riding. lol We tried Univeral pairing with my hubbies Scala Riders (before he got the Sena). It worked well but he couldn't bluetooth into his phone too. We couldn't get both to work. It was one of the other. Since we don't want to share music (prefer my own), we bit the bullet & bought him a Sena. MattR302 I think we have the SMH10 too. thanks.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed the 10r this morning. Messed with it a little by playing Pandora and calling the wife. I like it so far, but ride time won't happen until it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk