Seen it before? Smart Car 70mph vs immobile object = death

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKGfo1wmOM&feature=related]SMART car crash (TEST) - YouTube[/ame]

Ya, so as one would expect - even if the car retains its basic car shape - you may not. . .

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say it's doing pretty well actually! At 70mph, that's 4 times the energy of your normal crash test at 35mph. Not much any car can do for you at this point.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting video............considering your screenname !

One in the same apparently! :rolleyes:

Hopefully I never travel that path and simply wither into nonexistence. . . albeit the other option may be painless and quick! :spank:

slowboyracing

Up on one wheel!
Vendor
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw that on TV.

You think that is bad? Check this out, it is a Focus too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dI5ewOmHPQ]Fifth Gear [20x01] - Ford Focus 120mph Crash Test - YouTube[/ame]

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
After riding the bike my wife's Smart car seems so big and secure. :) I drive it like I do the bike, just slower, watch out for others stay out of risky situations - like the right lane on the interstate, etc.

Let me see takes about 15 seconds to get to 70MPH . . . Having driven the Smart car a lot (well as much as I can pry it away from her) over the last three years it doen not seem so unsafe. The structure is solid and despite it being so small you are actually at a normal height compared to some other small cars. Would rather be in a Smart car than a Miata in a side impact. Of course the two cars I desire most (Z06 and Elise) probably are not much better.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw that on TV.

You think that is bad? Check this out, it is a Focus too!

Fifth Gear [20x01] - Ford Focus 120mph Crash Test - YouTube

Fortunately its pretty rare to actually hit a structure like that. More often than not there are other smaller things that scrub off speed. But WHOLLY cr@p - I thin the wheel base is not shorter than the smart car after its impact.

PS - it seems the human body can mostly withstand roughly 38 to 48g's. 40 and up is short duration like 1/2second or less. Beyond that - you're toast!

MiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It would have been much more interesting to see a 45mph/75kmh head on with a average sedan heading at a similar rate. It's a much more likely scenario and immensely scary. I'll still take my "Small" 08 VW Rabbit that most countries other than the US see as a mid size.