Secure Keyless Electronic Seat Latch

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I Know, the title is a mouthful.

Where do I start?? I guess first is the why: As some of you may know, I am in the middle of a front fork conversion with a set of 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R BPF Forks (Check this out for more info: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project.html). I knew from the beginning that the placement of the ignition switch on the upper triple was vastly different between the two bikes and that I was going to have to come up with a custom mount to make it work. After reviewing my options, I decided that I was not going to be happy with a simple bracket to reposition the mount.

Luckily, after a bit of research, I found a company that offers a secure keyless ignition system that utilizes RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology similar to that found in newer push button start automobiles. The kit, from Digital Guard Dawg (Keyless Ignition & Push Button Start from Digital Guard Dawg), is complete with a compact relay system and remote key FOB. Simply sit on the bike (with the remote in your pocket or bag), flip the start/stop switch, and push the starter button and you are on your way. Simple & easy...but what about the other items that require the key????

The gas cap was straight forward. I purchased the twist-off style CNC aluminum cap from eBay and was on my way.

Now, the seat. I pondered leaving it as-is and just bringing the key with me when I ride. This is all fine and well until I forget to bring the key; which I would likely do and be left scratching my head when Mr.LEO asks why I cannot present my insurance and registration paperwork.

Fortunately, there is a simple solution. After learning a bit about how the Guard Dawg system functions, I decided that it would be possible to create an electronic actuation system for the seat latch. How:

What you will need:
-Digital Guard Dawg KIM System
-Sealed Linear Electric Solenoid (I used Macmaster Carr P/N 69905K3)
-Momentary, Push Switch
-1 X 1 X 1/8" Aluminum Angle (Brackets & Actuation Lever)
-Assorted Wiring

I am still in the process of the install at this point so I do not have all of the instructions together. Basically, I mounted the solenoid adjacent to the seat latch under the tail of the bike. The solenoid shaft was attached to the seat latch mechanism with a simple aluminum bracket.

Whats next: The solenoid will be wired to a push button switch which I will mount in place of the seat latch key tumbler (On the side of the bike). The wiring will be tied into the Guard Dawg system which will only supply power to the switch when the remote is within range. Otherwise, the switch is dead, and the seat will not disengage.

The interesting stuff...Pictures:

Guard Dawg System For Reference:

"New" Latch Assembly, Mock-up: (The solenoid is the metallic cylinder tucked behind the latch)

View 2:

View 3:

Push Button Switch (To be mounted):

Test Video:

More to come!!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It worked like a charm during the the bench test. Now I just need to get all of the wires routed and the switch installed.

:)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Definitely neat

Definitely a neat mod, but I'd be afraid to put an electrically operated device to unlock the seat, when the seat has to be removed to get to the battery.....

How do you access a dead battery? :confused:

Now I need to check out your BPF mod. Sounds cool!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Definitely neat

Definitely a neat mod, but I'd be afraid to put an electrically operated device to unlock the seat, when the seat has to be removed to get to the battery.....

This was definitely a concern of mine as well. I am putting together a "tool", really a glorified coat hanger, as a if-needed removal device. I have also attached the lead of the switch directly to my battery tender connector in case of battery drain.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site

If your seat lock gets jammed,or you can't turn the key (mine did due to all the crud that gets thrown up on it by riding through the winter)
You can open it by simply moving the latch across from underneath ;)

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
you seem to have figured out all possible scenarios scott! i like your ideas sound and look cool for sure.

your bike will sure make us drool when finished with the bpf and these electronic gizmos.

good luck with the project:thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If your seat lock gets jammed,or you can't turn the key (mine did due to all the crud that gets thrown up on it by riding through the winter)
You can open it by simply moving the latch across from underneath ;)

Shhhhhh..People aren't supposed to know that. Sadly, it's even easier with an aftermarket exhaust :eek:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got everything installed and it works like a charm. I was ecstatic at how well the switch installed. The key tumbler comes out with the removal of two small Phillips screws on the back of the housing. With the tumbler out, I trimmed down the length of the "tumbler-tube" (For lack of better terms) to allow the securing nut of the switch to be installed. Installed the switch, wired, and good to go!:)

Switch Placement (View #1):

Switch Placement (View #2):

Wiring: