Seat Lock Jammed?

sjb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I am having trouble removing the seat on my UK spec '04 bike. I can insert the seat lock key and turn it about 5 degrees just fine but then it gets very difficult (it feels like I am stretching the cable). I have lubed the lock with WD40 and the lock has not been a problem in the past. I though it might be that the mechanism was iced-up (it has been parked-up in Stockholm, Sweden, for the last 2 months), so I tried some gentle heat but it has not made a difference. Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?
Thanks, -Steve.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
it will almost certainly be the sliding mechanism (number 8 in the diagram) that has got stuck and not the lock . . . . . I've had this issue

I'm not going to detail how to fix this in public, PM me if you need a few pointers ;)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Have you tried pushing down on the seat (or leaning on it) while turning the key? I find sometimes I have to do this to get the key to finish turning and unlock it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I am having trouble removing the seat on my UK spec '04 bike. I can insert the seat lock key and turn it about 5 degrees just fine but then it gets very difficult (it feels like I am stretching the cable). I have lubed the lock with WD40 and the lock has not been a problem in the past. I though it might be that the mechanism was iced-up (it has been parked-up in Stockholm, Sweden, for the last 2 months), so I tried some gentle heat but it has not made a difference. Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?
Thanks, -Steve.

With my Scorps on, I can get to the mechanism (from underneath) and push it to the left to open it(and lift seat). If you can see the mechanism (cable goes to it) with the stock muffler, you can do the same.

Worse case scenerio, remove the muffler, you can then get to the mechansim withoiut destroying your seat....

rontash

Reaction score
Visit site
it will almost certainly be the sliding mechanism (number 8 in the diagram) that has got stuck and not the lock . . . . . I've had this issue

I'm not going to detail how to fix this in public, PM me if you need a few pointers ;)
Hello senior, rontash here from Canada

My seat on my 2007 FZ6 (Canadian model has under the seat muffler) just recently jammed. perhaps a piece from an extra bungee may have got meshed into the lock latch. Any pointers that you might suggest? Thanks, rontash

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello senior, rontash here from Canada

My seat on my 2007 FZ6 (Canadian model has under the seat muffler) just recently jammed. perhaps a piece from an extra bungee may have got meshed into the lock latch. Any pointers that you might suggest? Thanks, rontash

Pull the muffler and get to actual mechanism, then push the latch and open it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are options apart from taking out the muffler (to take it out I saw that there are some screws which are under the seat) are there?

Those screws secure the seat lock (they look locktited in) however you still need to slide the latch over first to release the seat. I don't have the stock muffler anymore, if you can reach those screws with the stock muffler, you can reach the latch.

With my Scorpions on, road grime gets thrown directly at the mechanism (I just blew mine out with an air compressor as I could feel the grit in the mechanism). I'll be making something to keep the road grime out....

Added info... I ended up folding some aluminum foil, using A/C (silver/shiny/very sticky) tape to re-inforce it. Cleaned the under tail and attached it with the same tape inbetween the inner/upper fender and the underseat storage plastic section. This seals off any road grime from getting thrown up into the mechanism.. Something to consider if riding in a lot of wet weather... Very cheap fix too.. :)

Last edited:

fanatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to get to the screws, but I can't seem to reach the latch.
****ty seat lock :(

Later edit: Went to the Yamaha garage and they managed to get it open through the left side. Something was stuck there but they couldn't pinpoint it :)

Last edited:

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to revive a dead thread, but I had the same thing to deal with this morning. Last winter I had to rush to the hospital. GF was in a car accident in my car. Hospital is less than five miles away. However, there was snow on the ground and snow means salt. Yuck. Well, she was safe, but seems my bike wasn't. Went home, rinsed her down, lubed what I could see, but I guess I forgot the seat latch. That would budge this morning. Here's what you do:

WD-40 the hell out of it. Let set.
Take screwdriver (long hefty one) and push the left flange all the way to the left.
Set pops open.

Now I have to remove everything and soak it. If that don't work, I'll just replace the mechanism.

Here's some pics:

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to all you numbskulls who could have simply said stick a large hammer under the seat push left and voila. Seat pops open. All the damn salt corroded it. I have already ordered a whole new latch and cable mechanism from Bike Bandit (if there was a sponser site I should have used, let me know for future reference please). Anyway. All good. Any yes, my GF is fine and she is picking up the cost of the parts. Not the greatest driver in the world. Way too defensive. I scare the **** out of her when she rides bitch.

surfandsummit

Reaction score
Visit site
So just to clarify, you stuck a long screwdriver from the right side of the bike under the seat to the left edge of the seat and pushed it open from there?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
The front of the seat didn't went into the Grove, the back one got jammed. fixed:
Kept on center stand? Sat on the top/middle of the seat, used my left hand to turn the lock and viola. it worked Thank You guys.
This weekend I'll use wd40 to clean.

Last edited: