Seat compatibility betwen model years?

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
Seat compatibility between model years?

I would like to mount a Givi top-case directly on the pillion part of my FZ6 seat, using either Givi's universal mounting plate or a home-built plate of my own (thick plastic cutting boards, cut and drilled to shape, work great). Doing this will obviously destroy my passenger accommodations, so I would like a second seat with which to switch back and forth. One unmodified seat for commuting and possibly carrying a passenger, and a separate seat with a permanently installed Givi mount for longer solo trips.

I've heard there are differences between the early and later-model FZ6 seats. I want an exact match for my 09. I imagine any year will fit, but are there differences in material, foam thickness, etc?

Last edited:

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
Found what I remember reading a long time ago:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2009-yamaha-fz6-ar69238.html

"Still, in 2009, the Yamaha FZ6 stands out thanks to the same old recipe: a light, comfortable and versatile overall package powered by a more than decent number of horses that satisfies all rider’s needs as long as they plan to stay on road. Furthermore, the 'Comfort seat', previously found only in the accessory list, is now standard."

Having never ridden (or even viewed up close) an older FZ, what is a "Comfort Seat" ?

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
"Comfort seat" eh... I've never ridden an older FZ6 but my '08 starts to feel pretty hard after 200kms.. Then again I don't have much padding of my own...

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Found what I remember reading a long time ago:

2009 Yamaha FZ6 - Top Speed

"Still, in 2009, the Yamaha FZ6 stands out thanks to the same old recipe: a light, comfortable and versatile overall package powered by a more than decent number of horses that satisfies all rider’s needs as long as they plan to stay on road. Furthermore, the 'Comfort seat', previously found only in the accessory list, is now standard."

Having never ridden (or even viewed up close) an older FZ, what is a "Comfort Seat" ?

i have an 09 and the seat i bought las summer (off of an 05) is identical except that the pan is slightly flimsier, because there are more lateral supports on the newer seats (07-09)

a comfort seat to my knowledge is different and from what many members on here have said is less comfortable than the stock seat. if you're looking for something more comfortable, especially for longer rides you can have your stock seat modded by Spencer (dont think thats his real name but its called the spencer mod) he pulls the cover off and from the stock pan up builds you a custom seat tailored to your weight and preferences. also he can just do the front section of the seat. which might be nice for you if the rear portion is going to have a plate hard-mounted to it.

not trying to plug the mod, but its a thought and if you can buy a cheap used stock seat, its a much cheaper alternative to a Corbin or Top Saddlery.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
... Furthermore, the 'Comfort seat', previously found only in the accessory list, is now standard."
[/i]

That statement wasn't true for US-spec bikes. It fooled me, too.

The Comfort Seat has some gel padding and is shaped a bit differently than stock. I tried one but, for me, it had a weird pressure point where my wallet normally goes, that caused pain. I found it a new home and went back to the stock seat. Search the site for 'comfort seat' for lots of other opinions.

They come up for sale on the forum from time to time, or search the web for part ABA-4S821-00-00, if interested.

Triple

uncomfortably numb
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually like the seat just the way it is. I assumed it was the "comfort seat" because of that article and others like it.

If all other year FZ seats are just like mine (except for the pan, apparently), then I should have no trouble finding a spare.