Sears has motorcycle trunks on sale $32.49 or $42.49

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so after doing a little Google research, I found out something very interesting (and good for me).

The large JC Whitney topcase (like the one Skrapiron posted on his bike above) WILL, I repeat WILL work with the Givi Monokey plate. That's fantastic news for me since I've already got that setup.

I found this on a Kawasaki Versys forum...as you can see, it's the large JC Whitney topcase mounted to the Monokey plate. If you're wondering, the guy painted the reddish/orange trim silver on his case.

8b4a4c17.jpg

Unfortunately, the medium case WON'T work with the Monokey plate. But you can always use the mounting plate that comes with the case.

So now, I will definitely be ordering one of these up tomorrow.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've read the large case should work directly with the Givi monokey plate. The SW-Motech monokey plate is just barely different enough that you need to sand a little bit on the slots of the case to get it to fit. With the Givi plate I don't think you need to do that.

The medium case uses a completely different mounting system for some reason.

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so after doing a little Google research, I found out something very interesting (and good for me).

The large JC Whitney topcase (like the one Skrapiron posted on his bike above) WILL, I repeat WILL work with the Givi Monokey plate. That's fantastic news for me since I've already got that setup.

Unfortunately, the medium case WON'T work with the Monokey plate. But you can always use the mounting plate that comes with the case.

So now, I will definitely be ordering one of these up tomorrow.

I just found the same thing out myself this morning. It was one of my better OCD moments. I had the plate sitting on my workbench and I looked at the top case and said... "I wonder"..... Viola! It fits perfectly!!!

While it is not Givi quality, it will fit on the Givi 351 rack and adapter plate without modifications! A much more affordable alternative to the Givi cases...

Last edited:

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys and gals..

Following is my latest trunk mounting "system" and I am using the word "system" very lightly!!!

Basically was sitting about bored this morning, so started looking around the garage to see what I had that a could use to fab up a bracket for the plate that came with the my medium trunk. Following is what I came up with.

Nothing exciting, but a functioning bracket.

Supplies used:
1 piece of 1/4 inch flat bar.
4 u-bolts
1 piece of 1-1/4 inch plastic tubing
6 bolts with washers, lock washers and nuts
1 can of black spray paint

Mix it all together and get a bracket...

I think I need to find a different kind of clamp to use instead of the u-bot to clamp it to the handrail. Just have not found it yet.

I was actually surprised how sturdy it was once I had the tighten down the u-bolts. It doesn't shack at all when I shack the bike, but I have not road with it yet, so will have to wait on the final test.

Later folks... Well until I get bored and mount it some other way.

Thanks.

alarsen

Reaction score
Visit site
There are a lot of good reviews at JCWhitney's site. This looks like a great find for a solid rear top case. I am just curious to know what type of rack or mounting modifications may be necessary. Please post detailed pictures so we can see how it mounts.

Motorcycle Travel Trunks - JCWhitney
Review #68 shows this case on the back of a FZ1 which looks good.

Sounds like most people paint the orange trim to flat black and add reflective tape behind the rear lense.

Thanks

alarsen

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry fellas....As you can see I am a "Junior" member and did not realize the 2 pages of posts basically answering my questions. I think I will also try the bar and u-bolt approach to mounting the large case.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my top case finally arrived today. It fits extremely well with the Ventura Rack I have on my Buell XB12Scg. I apologize about the pictures, I finished installing the case when it was a bit dark outside.

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

DSCN1683.jpg

DSCN1685.jpg

-Nick-

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I ordered the Small, and was not sure how to mount it. I ended up installing it on the right side only, I attached the baseplate to the rear footrest bracket after removing the footrest. I only ride alone, so no need for the rear footrest. I made two brackets that attached at the top and back using existing bolt holes, so I did not need to drill or modify the frame.

I know.......it looks a little odd with only one sidecase mounted, but I like it and it works. I like it better than the tank bag I was using.

It cost $44 shipped, and $0 for mounting, but it did take me about 3 hours to install.

Thanks for the recomendation.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
...I attached the baseplate to the rear footrest bracket after removing the footrest. I only ride alone, so no need for the rear footrest. I made two brackets that attached at the top and back using existing bolt holes, so I did not need to drill or modify the frame.

That's a real nice mounting job! :thumbup:

I know.......it looks a little odd with only one sidecase mounted, but I like it and it works. I like it better than the tank bag I was using.

Well, if you mounted another one on the other side, it would look great.

By the way, did you leave the (lame) backrest pad on? I cannot tell for sure from your pictures. No need for a backrest on a side case. It comes off easily and you can plug the holes with black plastic plugs found at Lowe's in their miscellaneous hardware drawers.

Again, nice work!

Last edited:

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I did remove that SWEEEET backrest. (Picture still has it, but hard to see) Seems like it weighed more than the case itself. Actually, I am leaving the holes unplugged as they are at the bottom, and nothing I put in the case would be small enough to fall thru. I can always plug them later if needed. Also, without the backrest bolts sticking inside, my helmet fits in a little easier.

I thought about buying another one, but haven't for the following reasons:
1) one is more than enough room for me.
2) I still have the tank bag for extra room if needed
3) When I get on the bike, it is nice not to have a side case on the left side, as I swing my leg behind me to get on.
4) I've spent too much on my bike already. Haha
5) I don't need it to "look normal" Function over fashon for me.

Happy riding.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I am leaving the holes unplugged as they are at the bottom, and nothing I put in the case would be small enough to fall thru.

Yeah, things probably won't fall out, but if you ever ride on wet roads, water will probably find its way through the holes.

I thought about buying another one, but haven't for the following reasons:
1) one is more than enough room for me.
4) I've spent too much on my bike already. Haha

As someone once said, "too much is never enough."

Happy riding.

Ditto!

Last edited:

alarsen

Reaction score
Visit site
Those of you that were able to order the large case, consider yourself lucky. Sears just cancelled my order because they are out of stock and JCWhitney is not sure if they will be getting the large case back in. :(