Scorpion sound: open vs db killers

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got around to "installing" the DB killers into my Scorpions yesterday. They are supposed to be secured with a single screw, which means drilling a 3/16" hole in the underside of each tailpipe.
However, they are such a good fit that I first pushed them in and then fired up the bike to hear the difference.
The exhaust is just as loud with the DB killers installed...all they seem to do is change the exhaust note from the lusty, gutsy sound that the Scorps are famous for, to a sort of higher-pitched, Honda Civic with boy-racer Coffee Can Muffler sound.
Now I'm not sure that I want to actually start drilling holes to install these things.
They don't do what I thought they would do, which is make the exhaust a bit quieter.
Oh well.

bradms38

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the info. I was wondering what effect the db killers would have on the Scorps. I have some and was waiting on the local dealer to get me a price. After your posting I decided they would not be worth spending the money to get a result I did not want. I also had asked the dealer to look for a cat eliminator pipe thinking I may get more horsepower when tuned with my Scorp's, K & N air filter, and power commander.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess my son put it best: "Why are you trying to change the sound that everyone else is trying to achieve?"
It's just as loud with the db killers inserted, but the sound is somewhat aneamic...not pleasant at all.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the new-style Scorpions, but I found that they are painfully loud without the DB-killers. Although the note with them in is higher, it is a LOT quieter. I recently started riding to work at 70mph on the motorway and couldn't hack it without the DB-killers.