Scala G9 powerset review with pics

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got these tested out on the road today. My friend and I uploaded the latest 1.5 software today. Recommend using the software to configure the preferences (just easier). Seemed to be a little problematic to pair the two sets, but once they finally paired they worked great. We never got the 8+1 chat function to work and thought that it may be causing the pairing to inhibit. Kept getting a not available message while both sets were in standby and nothing else going (trying to hail the other set by pressing channel A button). We took the contacts off of the 8+1 list for both devices. It was after that, success was had pairing them together. Since you can talk with four people at once in normal intercom mode, we weren't too worried about it for now.

Installing them in our helmets was straight forward. We both happen to have Scorpion helmets. They work well with this helmet (see pics). There are two different mics. We removed the boom arm style and used the wired one. The speaker pockets work out perfect for speaker placement. They have little velcro extensions to get the speaker closer to your ear, but we found them to be not necessary.

The FM radio seemed to work fine. There is a little flip antennae (see pic). Mine did not seem to turn off in the way the manual said. Supposed to hold channel B for two seconds to turn on and off. Would turn on, but not off. I just tapped the voice command and said "radio off" to turn it off.

The phone paired easily (have iphone gen 4). Pandora streamed seamlessly and sounded great. Phone call quality and intercom quality was where this thing really blew us away. Not sure how they do it, but the other persons ambient noises (such as exhaust, motor and wind noise) is not heard at all coming through the speaker. I was laughing when my dad couldn't even tell I was on a motorcycle during my test phone call. Intercom was no different. Very clear. I don't plan on making phone calls when riding, but it is nice to have the ability to receive an emergency call.

The auto volume compensation works well. After reading another review, we turned it to minimum. After using it, I may try putting it back to the default middle position. During acceleration, it was a little hard to hear my dad's voice. Voice commands worked better for my friend, but was still usable for me.

Overall, am very impressed with the sound quality and functionality of the units. The sound is not going to hit 40 hz bass notes, but is not bad considering the size of the speakers. I don't think it sounds "tinny" at all.

The sets can be had on Amazon for about 300. Since one individual unit is 224 (cheapest I saw on Amazon), didn't seem to make sense, just buying one.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note about the cost. If you go in on a set with someone else and it comes out to about 150 each, you really do get two of everything (charge cords, mics, usb cables, speakers, extenders, hardware, etc....) in the box. The only thing that you don't get two of is the manual, but that can be downloaded for free off the web. Not a bad deal if there is someone you ride with frequently enough or just like the music and phone features.

Also, did not try to pair with a GPS. Imagine that would be a little safer to have voice prompts to help keep eyes on the road more. The iphone has GPS, but don't know if any of those apps have voice prompt. If they do, I would just keep the phone paired instead of using a dedicated GPS.

Flat_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The iphone does have voice prompts within Apple Maps. I really want one of these, I'm just not sure if I'll actually be able to hear it. I've tried wearing headphones while I'm out riding, but I have to turn the music up so loud that I know it's not good for my ears. If I could get a custom molded headphone that blocked out external sound I would probably consider it.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note about the cost. If you go in on a set with someone else and it comes out to about 150 each, you really do get two of everything (charge cords, mics, usb cables, speakers, extenders, hardware, etc....) in the box. The only thing that you don't get two of is the manual, but that can be downloaded for free off the web. Not a bad deal if there is someone you ride with frequently enough or just like the music and phone features.

Also, did not try to pair with a GPS. Imagine that would be a little safer to have voice prompts to help keep eyes on the road more. The iphone has GPS, but don't know if any of those apps have voice prompt. If they do, I would just keep the phone paired instead of using a dedicated GPS.

I have the earlier model, G4. Just to clarify, the iPhone Google maps app and the less useful Apple maps app both have voice prompts. I use Google maps often; voice prompts interrupt the music to give you the directions, then the music resumes. Great feature.