Saw one of these on the track....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and it looks pretty sweet, it will be interesting if the racer keeps the bike and becomes a bit more competitive on it in the upcoming weeks.
harley-davidson-xr1200r.jpg

It was in the same class as this Duc. Needless to say that the Duc spanked him hard, but that could have been mostly rider...:
2006-ducati-sport1000c.jpg

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
It was in the same class as this Duc. Needless to say that the Duc spanked him hard, but that could have been mostly rider...:
2006-ducati-sport1000c.jpg

I love this bike, it's feakin gorgeous. :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The review I read said it doesn't take much to be rubbing the pipes. Typical Harley, can't build a bike that corners.

Having said that, it IS a cool looking bike.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The review I read said it doesn't take much to be rubbing the pipes. Typical Harley, can't build a bike that corners.

For a short time I had a job at a Harley shop. Part of the work was pulling new bikes out of crates, setting them up, and test riding them.

The second one I did, a Dyna, I dragged the pipes in a turn on the test ride, turning right from the I-35 North access road onto Parmer Lane.

(Bonus points if you can tell me which HD dealership I was working at.)

I didn't think I was pushing the bike all that hard, but apparently I was.

The boss man was not amused.

Fred

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site

Having said that, it IS a cool looking bike.

At the track he was riding (NHIS) that would definitely suck hard for turn 3 - a sharp right hander up hill with a transition off the oval to road race portion of the track. In that class I'm guessing he wasn't there to drag his exhaust hard but more so just for fun of "racing" his thundering v-twin but maybe Rob will chime in again and tell us about the spark show that happened and prove me wrong

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
he actually was dragging knee and not bike... of course he has a full Ohlins setup on the bike to get it race ready :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the Ducati...is an infinitely better bike....allthough the Hardly Dangerous looks nice.

:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well... of course the Duc is a better bike, but i find it very refreshing that Harley actually came out with something new instead of just shuffling the old technology around a bit and selling it as a new bike.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I was working race control for this weekend's races, and we had a typo on our race list. The race right after Thunderbike was listed as Middleweight Superbile (not superbike), so we kept joking that the Harley was running the wrong class.

Maybe you had to be there....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was working race control for this weekend's races, and we had a typo on our race list. The race right after Thunderbike was listed as Middleweight Superbile (not superbike), so we kept joking that the Harley was running the wrong class.

Maybe you had to be there....

Not just regular Bile, SuperBile...that sounds about typical for Harleys...

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For a short time I had a job at a Harley shop. Part of the work was pulling new bikes out of crates, setting them up, and test riding them.

The second one I did, a Dyna, I dragged the pipes in a turn on the test ride, turning right from the I-35 North access road onto Parmer Lane.

(Bonus points if you can tell me which HD dealership I was working at.)

I didn't think I was pushing the bike all that hard, but apparently I was.

The boss man was not amused.

Fred
:rof: I bet he was'nt very happy!! LOL :D

CravenMoorhead

Reaction score
Visit site
I also posted this in the bar:

I road an XR1200 today and it was cool. It weighs about 100lb more than my bike but the torque from the V-twin was sweet and the sound was intoxicating. There was significant vibration at idle but the frequency was so slow it was not unplesant. I could see the "charm" in the character if only for a minute at a stoplight. The vibration essentially disappears above 2500 rpm.

It struck me a very odd that the higher I rev'ed the bike the smoother it became, exactly opposite my R particularly above 7K which is about the redline for the HD.

Seat position was slightly more upright than my bike. There was a greater reach to the handlebars which were wider but the same height. My knees were not as bent and the pegs were a bit forward/more underneath me. The seat was similar in width and the same firm/hardness as the R and even a smaller pillion than ouRs.

The five speed transmission was at least as easy to shift as my bike but being able to stay in one gear (third) from 30mph to 70 mph comfortably was refreshing. The brakes in front were awesome almost nosebleed and the R is not slouch in this respect.

The turn in was not a easly as the R but the rear tire is much fatter?200mm The bike was very similar in how it leaned and turned, at least for me.

The switchgear was fine but the clutch was much firmer. The tach. dominates the instrument cluster with a 1/2 the size speedo to the left. Underneat these twin moons was a line of gas, highbeam, blinker etc indicators. The self canceling blinkers was apreciated. There are no gear indicators, fuel guage or temp indicators which was missed. The horn was only slightly less lame than ours.

I found the oil cooler sticking out from the left front of the frame was unfinished and misplaced at best but I am no engineer. The sidepipes are hugh but they had aftermarket slipons that save 12lbs and added 10%more torque and 5% more horsepower at intro.

There is no front fairing, not even an attempt but there is a HD $300 one available a tad smaller than ouRs. I felt no wind buffeting at all but I wear full gear with full helmut and shield. I got to thinking that our token windshield causes more wind trouble that it saves.

Suspension was stiff and ample. 5" travel in back and full 43mm unside down adjustable Showa's in front. (anyone that does not race spend much time dialing these in?) It soaked up small chop well but a few sharp dips jolted me a bit.

The bike lists for $11K which seems about 2K high but buying into the Harley family is worth something to folks. I think a Buell would be a better value, engine and lighter but the riding position is too far forward/sport for me and there are very few tight curving roads in my neck of the woods.

I was impressed enough to start thinking...

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I love that BIKE!!!

Not a huge Harley fan... I think a bike should sound like a sewing machine...
But I threw a leg over it at the dealer and it felt very very natural to me...

I thought it was a standstill bike thing till I was riding near a guy in Connecticut I talked to him at a rest stop and he echoed all the thoughts in my mind...

Ahhh one day...