Sat on a FZ1 Today, Ohh Boy!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good memory! You still have your V-Strom? The FZ6 gave me what the V-Strom couldn't, more power and a quicker handling bike but I do miss the ABS. When I sat on the FZ1 it felt allot like the V-Strom, wide tank and sits a little higher in the front and a very comfortable riding position. I had check on insurance on a FZ1 and I remember it being around $1,100 full coverage/one year. I'm paying around $750 for the FZ6 so not too much more that I can't justify.

What's your insurance company, because that's not at all bad for the FZ1... I am probably older than you so my sport bike days have come and gone... I no longer feel the "need for speed".... I just bought the new 2012 DL650... With only about 67hp... It would bore most people here... But the Strom's jewel of an engine gives me what the FZ6 can't... Low end grunt, a less frantic more relaxed engine and ride... Way better suspension and ABS as standard... Afterall, it's about the journey "there" not the destination that counts....:thumbup:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
About 28 MPG per the Yamaha web site. That's the ONLY reason I won't get one..

Retail down here was just over $10k for a new 2013.

Looks like the big brother to the 07/08 FZ6.

No ABS, no linked brakes, back to basics (which I prefer)..

I average 28 mpg when I'm doing mostly city/highway commute riding (low of 25mpg with 87 octane, better with 91). When I go out in the boondocks I get up to 32/33 mpg.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I average 28 mpg when I'm doing mostly city/highway commute riding (low of 25mpg with 87 octane, better with 91). When I go out in the boondocks I get up to 32/33 mpg.

:( That makes me sad. I'd love to upgrade to an FZ1 for the factory inverted forks, and ease of adding some PLX cases. But damn, the WORST tank I've gotten on the FZ6 is a hair under 40mpg, with a peak of 52mpg. Average is sitting at 46.5mpg over about 7k miles. No way I could justify almost cutting my mileage in half.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 will get better gas mileage, so in thinking of going on long trips with the FZ1 you need to think about where the gas stops are. If you look at the mpg other sport bikes get of the same size like the R1 you'll see they do about the same. I just wish the tank held more so you had a bigger range. I average around 30 mpg but I'm not always on the throttle either.

As for insurance, I pay the same amount for the FZ1 as I do the FZ6 with the same coverage. I'm older, married and try to be careful. :BLAA:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The poor MPG is a big turn off and the FZ1 is long overdue for an update. Really interested to see the new R1 crossplane derived triples coming into the Fazer lineup.

Obviously they'll be directly compared directly against Triumphs and this competition should ensure they'll be something special.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
What's your insurance company, because that's not at all bad for the FZ1... I am probably older than you so my sport bike days have come and gone... I no longer feel the "need for speed".... I just bought the new 2012 DL650... With only about 67hp... It would bore most people here... But the Strom's jewel of an engine gives me what the FZ6 can't... Low end grunt, a less frantic more relaxed engine and ride... Way better suspension and ABS as standard... Afterall, it's about the journey "there" not the destination that counts....:thumbup:

The best rates I've found was the TD. They have my motorcycle, ATV and snowmobile. I'm 50 and have a clean record and over 35 years riding experience so I get some of the best rates.

I did check out the new VStrom but to be honest the styling has improved but still underpowered and too top heavy for my liking. Every once in a while I like a good arm stretch, it makes me giggle in my helmet like a 10 year old school girl. :D

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sales guy says he came in with the cash and bought it and i think he financed a portion of it. Did this while his parents were out of town. The parents had phoned the store and wanted to know why they had sold him such a powerful sport bike. The bike is at Sun Sports Cycle on Colonial in Fort Myers. If your up that way check it out, quite entertaining.

I mis-read your post, I sat on a FZ1, not an R1

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
:( That makes me sad. I'd love to upgrade to an FZ1 for the factory inverted forks, and ease of adding some PLX cases. But damn, the WORST tank I've gotten on the FZ6 is a hair under 40mpg, with a peak of 52mpg. Average is sitting at 46.5mpg over about 7k miles. No way I could justify almost cutting my mileage in half.

The FZ6 will get better gas mileage, so in thinking of going on long trips with the FZ1 you need to think about where the gas stops are. If you look at the mpg other sport bikes get of the same size like the R1 you'll see they do about the same. I just wish the tank held more so you had a bigger range. I average around 30 mpg but I'm not always on the throttle either.

As for insurance, I pay the same amount for the FZ1 as I do the FZ6 with the same coverage. I'm older, married and try to be careful. :BLAA:

The poor MPG is a big turn off and the FZ1 is long overdue for an update. Really interested to see the new R1 crossplane derived triples coming into the Fazer lineup.

Obviously they'll be directly compared directly against Triumphs and this competition should ensure they'll be something special.

I just went for a rip today with a group of really good riders, speeds of 75 to 125 (3 of them had radar). I had to top off 4 times (basically it was 60 miles between each stop and I didn't want to push to 120 miles and possibly run out). Best tank I got was 35 mpg, worst was 31 mpg. I had the bike inbetween 6500 to 9500 rpms for big chunks of the riding. (I finally found redline in 3rd at 124).

I hope they take the leftover crossplane R1 inline 4 engines and throw em in an updated Fazer. However, I'm more than likely going with the Tuono V4R in a year or two. I'll keep my Fz1 just in case I run into the possible repair headaches with a high maintenance Italian bird.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I just went for a rip today with a group of really good riders, speeds of 75 to 125 (3 of them had radar). I had to top off 4 times (basically it was 60 miles between each stop and I didn't want to push to 120 miles and possibly run out). Best tank I got was 35 mpg, worst was 31 mpg. I had the bike inbetween 6500 to 9500 rpms for big chunks of the riding. (I finally found redline in 3rd at 124).

I hope they take the leftover crossplane R1 inline 4 engines and throw em in an updated Fazer. However, I'm more than likely going with the Tuono V4R in a year or two. I'll keep my Fz1 just in case I run into the possible repair headaches with a high maintenance Italian bird.

Judging by your posts and crash history, I sure hope you can make it to the V4R alive. Take it to the track please.

TopPud

-Matt-
Reaction score
Visit site
WTF dude? I pay 740/ year (full coverage) on my '09 FZ6. I'm 25, with only one recent speeding ticket, (2 years ago)..

Thats through Progressive... my original insurer, American Family, quoted me: "We dont insure kids on bikes"

I live in WI, Im 20 no tickets full coverage through Allstate for $280 a year.